2 new songs

Porter

aka WookieMan
Howdy,

I think that this is my first post in this forum/clinic. Well.. this is my first semi-serious post anyhow.

I've recorded two songs for a competition. The competition are looking more for the words than the recording, however I don't want to give them a dud recording.

The two songs can be found here. They are Feelings Don't Just Disappear and Forever, Together, Just You and Me.

I have semi left these mixes to the last minute...well last week at least ;) . I mixed these last night and since listening to them this morning on my speakers at work (which for me tend to show a different version of the truth) and have found a couple of mixing issues which I've outlined below. I was just wanting to get some more feed back on the mixes. I'd appreciate to hear your responses.

Issues in the mixes:
Feelings Don't Just Disappear
Drums - Bring their levels up a little
Bass - needs to be a little more punchy (compress)
Vocals - need to be brought up more in the last verse (ride the fader)

Forever, Together, Just You And Me
Guitar - needs to be brought up in the mix
Vocals - in bridge need to be brought down a little

I would usually have re-mixed and re-posted, however I might run out of time... thanks in anticipation.

Porter

Forever...

Drums cheap-ness kind of kicks this down some. Nice, chrisharris-like Country vibe here. Can you sing this one octave up? Or, at least attempt it? Maybe put an octave double in there? Just MHO that it would add energy and interest.

Pitchy-ness in the vocals...

Bass sounds flat... (tuned a bit flat)... listen to the ending fade...

Sounds pretty familiar... there's an alt-rock band that has a song that sounds like this. Digging... digging it out of the brain... jeez, it almost sounds like "Burnin Ring Of Fire"/Johnny Cash... but there's a cow-punk band w/a song... anyway it'll come to me soon enough. Maybe "Take Away This Ball & Chain", or something... ANYWAYZ... :o

Decent recording.

Feelings...

Tiny bit of amp noise in the opening... SR-16 for drums... that open-hat sound gives it away!! :D

Drums mixed too low... at least we know why, Mr. Alesis :p

Bass shy... played that way, too.

Sounds a lot like chrisharris...

As the second verse starts... (cue TripleM) ... a little pop.... seems like during the second chorus, as you begin each phrase, there's some lip-smacking and crackling in the vocal tracks as well.

Nice performance. Good arrangement.

IMO these aren't going to win the "mixing/production/recording" prize, but they're good songs. You've got a shot.

Good luck!!

Chad

participant said:
Forever...

Drums cheap-ness kind of kicks this down some. Nice, chrisharris-like Country vibe here. Can you sing this one octave up? Or, at least attempt it? Maybe put an octave double in there? Just MHO that it would add energy and interest.

Pitchy-ness in the vocals...

Bass sounds flat... (tuned a bit flat)... listen to the ending fade...

Sounds pretty familiar... there's an alt-rock band that has a song that sounds like this. Digging... digging it out of the brain... jeez, it almost sounds like "Burnin Ring Of Fire"/Johnny Cash... but there's a cow-punk band w/a song... anyway it'll come to me soon enough. Maybe "Take Away This Ball & Chain", or something... ANYWAYZ... :o

Decent recording.

Feelings...

Tiny bit of amp noise in the opening... SR-16 for drums... that open-hat sound gives it away!! :D

Drums mixed too low... at least we know why, Mr. Alesis :p

Bass shy... played that way, too.

Sounds a lot like chrisharris...

As the second verse starts... (cue TripleM) ... a little pop.... seems like during the second chorus, as you begin each phrase, there's some lip-smacking and crackling in the vocal tracks as well.

Nice performance. Good arrangement.

IMO these aren't going to win the "mixing/production/recording" prize, but they're good songs. You've got a shot.

Good luck!!

Chad

Thanks Chad... I'll have a look into all those little things tonight.

I am using a SR-16.... the biggest problem with this drum machine is, it's almost a 'standard' and everyone knows the sounds inside out.

I'll see if I can get rid of those 'lip smacks' you mentioned in the beginning of each phrase.. might ride the fader a bit. I've really only got tonight to fix things in the mix (lunch time here in oz atm).

In regards to the octive with the vocals, I don't know if I can do physically do that without is sounding like Sh!t.

Keep 'em coming in,

Thanks,

Porter

I'm on dial-up, so I only checked out Feelings Don't.

Main vocal needs some eq. There's a little too much low end in it.

Drums leave a lot to be desired. Mixed too low. No punch. No humaness. (They keep the time ok though :) )

Bass is a little low in the mix also.

Nothing in the mix pushes. Like your not sure, or hestiant about what you want to do. Make up your mind and go for it! :D

Singing is decent and harmony is good. Overall not a bad mix. Just kinda blah, though.

Good songs :)
These gentelmen above had given you the hints on the mix,
anyway it sounds strange in my cheap headphone (at the office PC now :D ), or it could be the mp3 bitrate ? it's only 48kBs... I'll give it a shoot again back home :)

Hey Porter…

I downloaded these songs a few days ago and I’m just getting around to listening to them now. Sorry :(

Feelings…

This has pretty simple instrumentation, so I think the mix suggestions have been pretty well covered.

Hey man…you have a nice voice. I like it. Nice BG vocals.

You know what…I can hear this song as an up tempo pop/rock number. With those good bg vocals that would be really cool. Driving drums, kicking bass…that would be really cool.

Although I’m not getting into a heavy songwriting critique here, I will say that I think this is the stronger of the two songs here.

Forever…

Again, your probably covered on mix comments. Well, I think the acoustic needs a little more sparkle.

At 0:25 when you sing thrown…you kind of make it two syllables. It sounds kind of weird to me. Kind of like Throwwen.

Nice work on both of these. Keep it up. :)

Harmony Vocals vs. Guitars

Feelings Just Don't Disappear :
-----------------------------------------------
The Vocals in the very beginnning are mixed at the PERFECT level.
Your voice is good enough in this range where you can use less, yes less, reverb.
At 0:22, you add some really, really nice harmony vocals and the guitar needs to come
way, way, way down. Harmony vocals this good, in a song of this genre and type are GOLDEN, they are a primary element of the song.

Consult your meters. I bet you the guitar track's meters are hotter than the backup vocals.

The human element of harmony vocals is much, much more important musically than a 'rythm guitar', no, don't 'blend' the sounds. The guitar is UGLY compared to your FINE harmony vocals. Let them shine please.

The vocal mix during the verses are very good. Just tone down that guitar during those really nice harmoney vocals.

If you want, the drums can come down a touch, in a song like this they are more like a click track than anything.

At 2:47, the vocal is buried. Don't bring the vocal up here, bring the instruments DOWN around the vocal, you have a good opportunity to create dynamics in the song.

If you are not using an electronic tuner on your guitar ... shame. :-) , there are a few minor intonation ... things.

Forever Together Just You and Me
--------------------------------------------------
The little intro drum is so fake sounding when it is exposed like this. Don't use this, it is the first impression we get, and you are so much better than that. I don't know if it's real or fake ... but it sounds fake.

Again, you don't need to use this much reverb on your voice, especially when you sing this low. If anything, enhance the track in a utility like Soundforge, enhance one degree.

I'd like to hear you sing into the mic with even a little more support and volume.

The vocal here, (I'm at 1:15), has been mixed on top of the mix very well and continues to be.

That little bit of drum, that cheese snare, don't use it where it is so exposed, take it down in the mix at least, and I know it's an equiptment limitation maybe ?

This is a good song.

Back