2 Mics - 1 USB + 1 XLR = ???

RyanRosario

So I have only one mic so far. The AT2020 USB Mic. I'm going to use this mic for my vocals.

I plan to get an Audio Technica Small Condenser Mic for acoustic guitar. So that'd make a total of 2 mics.

The thing is, I'd have one USB mic and one XLR mic. Is it possible to combine those two together for it to work out and still record that way?

Does this mean to buy an XLR Mic, I have to buy an audio interface as well?

if this is possible overall, when I start recording on my DAW, do I put both the tracks on mono right?

Is there any audio interfaces out there that can connect both usb mics and xlr mics? Also for a low price?

hope anyone experienced can answer all these questions!
(noob questions everywhere :D)

Sell the usb mic, get an audio interface and an xlr ldc condenser.

usb mics are for podcasting (the interface built into them is less quality) and will just make things difficult.

Thanks for your answers guys!

so pretty much I have to buy two mics and an audio interface.

Amazon.com: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

Also, what I'm confused about is that aren't audio interfaces supposed to only be XLR? why does this say USB? Can anyone clarify and have any recommendations for a cheap audio interface for two Audio Technica XLR Mics?

And can anyone answer these questions too?

Recording on my DAW, do I put both the tracks on mono right?

Is there any audio interfaces out there that can connect both usb mics and xlr mics?

As people already said...

The USB Mic will not work simultaneously with your interface, unless you create an "aggregate device" on Mac or use ASIO4ALL to create something similar on Windows. Both cases are not good choices because it will increase your latency dramatically.

The Focusrite 2i2 is a very good interface. They have the same pre-amps as their most expensive models.

So, buy the interface and then get yourself two conventional, non-usb mics.

Last edited:
As people already said...

The USB Mic will not work simultaneously with your interface, unless you create an "aggregate device" on Mac or use ASIO4ALL to create something similar on Windows. Both cases are not good choices because it will increase your latency dramatically.

And because it will have to resample one of the signals to accommodate unsynchronized AD clocks.

so when I get my two XLR Mics: One for vocals. One for guitar. (both researched and appropriate mics) , when I open up my DAW to start recording, I put both in mono settings?

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE BTW! YOU WERE ALL A GREAT HELP! (caps lock was necessary to show my thanks haha)

Yup. Record in two mono tracks. Or more than two. You can open up a whole world of multi tracking...harmonise with yourself, play your guitar as a rhythm section, then a lead--anything like that.

When you mix, you can pan the tracks as you like to end up with a stereo end product.

The Scarlett 2i2 is a very good choice BTW.

okay thanks man! oh wow you're right! So much possibilities! That opens up my mind for sure about this. I appreciate you saying that buddy :D.

not really too sure what you meant about this: "When you mix, you can pan the tracks as you like to end up with a stereo end product." but it's okay lol.

Yeah I'm saving up for that too! I watched reviews for it and it's definitely what I'm going for along with other necessities to complete my home studio.

What I meant was that working with mono tracks you have a "pan" control and can put individual things where you want in the stereo field. For example, you could put your main vocal dead centre but put secondary tracks of you singing with yourself to the left and right making it seem like you're spread out across a stage.

Probably a bad example but hopefully that gives you the idea.

You're in for a world of fun!

Nah that was a great example and now I get it! *Facepalm* Appreciate the clarification man!

That's pretty much all the questions I have for now. I've been making threads left and right with questions, but for now I'm good haha.

Thank you very much Bobbsy and everyone else for your help. This forum truly has such a nice community. And yes, I am truly excited for a fun time :D.

Back