2 mic drum recording....mic suggestions

captainkey

I'd like to try this setup recording my Gretsch Catalina Fusion kit....
I've seen this setup used numerous times with good results

1 overhead......3-4 feet directly above snare
kick mic....AKG d112 or similiar inside kick, or LDC about 1 foot outside resonant head.....the overhead does a decent job picking up the snare, hats, toms and cymbals, and the LDC on the outside of the kick picks up the low end of the kick plus some ambient room from the cymbals, toms, and snare.....

I'm looking to add some budget mics.....right now I've got a marshall 990 that could be used as an overhead....

need other ideas for a budget OH, and also what sort of budget LDC good work as a dedicated kick mic....

"2 mic drum recording....mic suggestions"

X/Y SDC mic's about 6FT in front of kit and about 5FT high.

the x/y thing mightwork, but the results will be very room dependent.

my instinct is to go with the original plan. one small diaphragm condenser about three feet directly above the snare. (move higher if you need more cymbals, lower if you need more snare.) then add a kick mic.

on a strict budget, the oktava mc012 will do fine (audition the specific mics so you don't get a dog) as the overhead, and an audio technica pro25 for the kick mic.

you may surprise yourself how good just those two mics will capture your drum kit.

captainkey said:
1 overhead......3-4 feet directly above snare
kick mic....AKG d112 or similiar inside kick, or LDC about 1 foot outside resonant head.....the overhead does a decent job picking up the snare, hats, toms and cymbals, and the LDC on the outside of the kick picks up the low end of the kick plus some ambient room from the cymbals, toms, and snare.....

That is one of my favorite ways to record drums, but it requires the drummer to have excellent control of their dynamics. If the room sounds good, you can also do the overhead and a room mic 6-12 feet away. The only thing I would add is that I always prefer an omnidirectional mic for the overhead, and also for the room mic (if you go that route).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Re: Re: 2 mic drum recording....mic suggestions

Light said:
If the room sounds good, you can also do the overhead and a room mic 6-12 feet away.
Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

excellent suggestions by all ....awesome.

I forgot to mention that I recently saw a Tom Petty soundstage special on TV and it looked like the drummer may have had this setup and it rocked on a small vintage Pearl kit...

my room is very tight....10 x 14 with 8' ceilings...hardly any ambience, the walls and ceiling are wood paneling..... all the ambience is probably gonna hafta come with software plugins..a spare room I just converted to a studio...I'm not sure if this is gonna even work....

the only reason I'm experimenting is because one day I just threw an LDC about 2 feet in front of the kick and about 3 feet high and I actually got usuable drums with a few Waves compressor and EQ, Verb, plugins.....

If your room was really good you might get away with one omni above and forward enough to hear the kick....and the aforementioned compression.

Re: Re: Re: 2 mic drum recording....mic suggestions

captainkey said:
...the only reason I'm experimenting is because one day I just threw an LDC about 2 feet in front of the kick and about 3 feet high and I actually got usuable drums with a few Waves compressor and EQ, Verb, plugins.....

:) Ah, sounds like some good clean fun.:)

...but why is it you guys want to rush in and compress the shit out of it?
:p :D
Wayne

Back