2 LCD monitors VS Video Projector

geeq

I know this is somewhat out of the topic, but it's part of the recording world specially editing..
I know a studio who uses 2 monitor screen for mixing/recording to extend his screen (1 main window + 1 for plug-ins window)..
I plan to do this.. but I was thinking..
what if I rather buy a video projector, since it is much larger..
my question is:
will it have to same extension like having 2 monitor screen?
or
will the screen just expand like 1 monitor..
what i want is half of the screen as the main window and half for plug-ins window..
then the whole bottom portion for tracking..
i plan to stay with 1024x768 resolution..
i also plan to use it for video editing for wider working area..
thanks. :)

I dont know if that will work or not butt if you want to buy a video projector I have one fer sale.I have a Eiki LC-5000U, LC-DATA GRADE PROJECTOR with remote.Its in great condition I bought it used bout a year ago and used it maby 3 times.Let me know if yer interested its really heavy but Ill ship it UPS ground insured in the U.S. fer free.RODNEY

geeq said:
I know this is somewhat out of the topic, but it's part of the recording world specially editing..
I know a studio who uses 2 monitor screen for mixing/recording to extend his screen (1 main window + 1 for plug-ins window)..
I plan to do this.. but I was thinking..
what if I rather buy a video projector, since it is much larger..
my question is:
will it have to same extension like having 2 monitor screen?
or
will the screen just expand like 1 monitor..
what i want is half of the screen as the main window and half for plug-ins window..
then the whole bottom portion for tracking..
i plan to stay with 1024x768 resolution..
i also plan to use it for video editing for wider working area..
thanks. :)

You are not getting any additional screen realestate with a projector - things just get bigger. 1024x768 is barely adequate for more demanding apps like DAW and video editing software.

When you use 2 screens, you are effectively doubling the screen resolution. You go from 1024x768 to 2048x768.

Are you planning to work in the dark? That is the only way you will get a half decent image as far as brightness goes.

People are not aware of the maitenance cost involved with projectors. Most bulbs in these things have a 2 year life span and usually run around $100-$200 to replace.

Brzilian has some good points. Additionally it's a lot harder to place a projector where you can get close enough to the screen to read the small text very well. If it is behind you then you have your head in the way and if it's above you get a distorted image. The only way to do it is rear projection and then you need about 10ft in front of your mixing station.

Most bulbs in these things have a 2 year life span and usually run around $100-$200 to replace.

Ha, more like $200 to $600 for a bulb.

ic.. cuz my dad will allow me the have a 250+ basement area for recording studio and video studio, so i figured to get a bigger screen, but bigger lcd panels cost alot.. so i thought projector would be a great solution for bigger screen..
but i guess i'll have to wait till 20+ inch lcd panels come out.. then i'll get two and hook them in one screen.. :)
Thanks for your replies, guys..

hmm..
how bout a projector for entertainment purpose in a room, is it worth it than those plasma tv..

geeq said:
ic.. cuz my dad will allow me the have a 250+ basement area for recording studio and video studio, so i figured to get a bigger screen, but bigger lcd panels cost alot.. so i thought projector would be a great solution for bigger screen..
but i guess i'll have to wait till 20+ inch lcd panels come out.. then i'll get two and hook them in one screen.. :)
Thanks for your replies, guys..

hmm..
how bout a projector for entertainment purpose in a room, is it worth it than those plasma tv..

LCD displays aren't any good for video work either - the response time is still very slow when compared to CRT's so you get alot of ghosting.

Save your money and go out and buy 2 19" CRT's. BestBuy has a deal this week on a MAG 19" CRT for $99 after rebates.

If you want something for an entertainmet room, I would just stick with some kind of rear projection TV. You can get a decent qualtity HDTV ready 51" set from Sony for around $2000 now.

I wouldn't dog LCD projectors that hard. They can be great for movies and video games if you have the space to get a big enough picture. You can easily have a good picture on an 80" screen for 1/10 of the cost of a CRT or plasma monitor. The newer projectors are amazingly small and bright. You can even use them outside and watch movies at night while you soak in the hot tub.

Any lcd projector worth investing in is going to be much more expensive than practically any monitor type. You can get a rgb compatible 42" plasma for under 3k these days. You'd be lucky to find a used xga (1024x768) projector with any kind of brightness for that. I got a killer deal on my projector, xga 3000 lumens for $4000. And the bulb goes for 1500 hrs and is $350 to replace.

2 LCD monitors is the way to go.

Btw, you could use a projector as you've stated with a dual head video card. It would work just as any monitor would.

Here is an invaluable resource for projector info.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

TexRoadkill said:
I wouldn't dog LCD projectors that hard. They can be great for movies and video games if you have the space to get a big enough picture. You can easily have a good picture on an 80" screen for 1/10 of the cost of a CRT or plasma monitor. The newer projectors are amazingly small and bright. You can even use them outside and watch movies at night while you soak in the hot tub.

True enough, but your cost analysis is off a bit. Are you talking about an 80" plasma? A crt is definitely cheaper. A nice electric screen that size will be around $800. And if it's mounted at home I'd go no less than 100", which is more expensive. Then with the most affordable small projector, you're looking at another 2k...

Back