2-channels with sidechain

noground

I'm looking for a 2-channel compressor/limiter/gate with a sidechain input for about $300 or less

Anyone have any suggestions? The only affordable one I've seen so far is the Behringer MDX 2200 Composer Pro.

I'm confused about something else too: what is the use of a stereo compressor? Is it just the same as two compressors with one set of controls?

To me it would seem that if you are miking and compressing 2 different sources, they should each have different compressor parameters to make each one sounds the best. Even if the two mics are very close to each other, wouldn't there be enough of a difference to merit independent controls (if even just a couple db's threshold)?

-Matt

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my questions above are quite uninformed, but I've got to learn it somewhere. Can anyone help?:(

There are basicly two types of compressors when it comes to
stereo control.
The true stereo which compresses both sides of the stereo
using only one control button - Threshold etc....

The Dual monolinked compressor that has the ability to compress 2 different sides independently or linked.

In the "Link mode" some compressors then become like a true stereo compressor and have on side control both sides or on some compressors you can link them but still have seperate control.

Basicly if you will run your mix through a stereo compressor ( like many engineers do....)(or a drum group...) you want the two sides to work together or else you will have a balance problem.
However !!. I personaly question that aspect and prefer myself to compress independently both sides of a stereo mix for a simple reason.

Imagine a mix were a single Tom comming from the left side is very strong in its output... why would I want the other side to be compressed as well?. It is much more work and time but IMHO
you can get better results by compressing both sides with out a linked mode on the compressor.

I have a composer pro and I'm very happy w/ it. It has balanced ins & outs, the side chain features (i don't use the s.c.), and has duel operation for stereo applications. I would not recommend buying a 3630.

Adam

sorry...

not getting through to me in the area of vocals...?
What is better, does it matter... a mono preamp, good or bad?

Priz,
You mean mono compressor ?.
There is nothing wrong with using a mono compressor for vocals.

I'm worried that, although this is a compressor thread, nobody has mentioned the RNC yet. Are you guys feeling well? :)

Back