2 Channel Mic Pre w/Different Flavors

tkingen

Djembes Rock
Awhile back a read something about a two channel preamp that had different flavors on both channels. Seems like one channel was maybe a Neve clone and the other API-ish?
This sound familiar to anyone?

If I recall... someone mentioned an Art two channel tube pre... and swapping out the tube on one channel to impart a slightly different tone

Or put together a Lunchbox.

Yeah-- that will do it. Avedis makes a Neve clone, the Great River 500 pre is said to be very Neve-ish, API units will obviously (hopefully) sound very API-ish and you'll have dozens of other choices. There are DIY options, plus compressors, eq's, headphone amps, summing modules and other types of modules as well.

If I recall... someone mentioned an Art two channel tube pre... and swapping out the tube on one channel to impart a slightly different tone

I can't imagine that resulting in a channel of Neve like sound and a channel of API like sound though...

ADK AP2 is capable of that, more or less, plus many more flavors because it has swappable input transformers and swappable discrete op amps. About 40 different combinations available.

It's a very nice preamp.

ADK AP2 is capable of that, more or less, plus many more flavors because it has swappable input transformers and swappable discrete op amps. About 40 different combinations available.

It's a very nice preamp.

That's the one I was thinking of! The Lunchbox and Seventhcircle options are worth looking into as well.
Gracias Amigos!

That's the one I was thinking of! The Lunchbox and Seventhcircle options are worth looking into as well.
Gracias Amigos!

It's a nice unit. Not alot of bells and whistles. At it's core there's plenty of clean and quiet gain. +-18v rails - excellent build.

I liked it enough (with the Jensen tranny and John Hardy 990C op amp) to sell my John Hardy M2. Although they don't sound exacly the same, they are very very close - two slightly different flavors of good. I have 4 op amp pairs and 3 transformer pairs, for 12 different combinations.

I have it mounted in a rack with two empty spaces above it to allow access to do the swaps, which take all of about 30+- seconds each.

The unit isn't talked about much, but it's the real deal.

Back