2 CEP questions

homestudio1

I have two questions I can't seem to find the answers to.

1) I can copy a wav by pressing the ctrl key and right mouse click, then move the wav anywere in time on the same track. However, a new file is created. Is there any way of linking the copied wav file to the original, making one file, without going through the mixdown process for that particular track?

2) When monitoring recording levels, what should the optimum level be (in dB) to minimize distortion and clipping and maximize amplification?

Separately, does anyone know when Syntrillium will launch 2.0 and red rover?

Thanks.

That's three questions. :D

1) I can copy a wav by pressing the ctrl key and right mouse click, then move the wav anywere in time on the same track. However, a new file is created. Is there any way of linking the copied wav file to the original, making one file, without going through the mixdown process for that particular track?

I have no idea what you're wanting to do here. :)

2) When monitoring recording levels, what should the optimum level be (in dB) to minimize distortion and clipping and maximize amplification?

The optimum level is the hottest level you can manage without going into the red, which means the signal's clipped, which means digital distortion, which means ugly sound that can't be repaired. Translating that into settings, I find that if I test the level on a track, and the peaks are hitting somewhere between
-6 and -3 dB, then I get a signal that's hot enough but which doesn't clip. I often use a smidgen of compression to help me as well.

Separately, does anyone know when Syntrillium will launch 2.0 and red rover?

No, no one knows. Not even Syntrillium. And even if they know, they're not saying.

Singapore,

note the attached screen capture. Guitar1 (2) is a copy of Guitar1 generated by CTRL RIGHT-CLICK. But they're two files. I want them to make them one file (for better managability) without mixdown. Are there functions within CEP that will allow this? Let me know if this still not clear.

Thanks.

Attachments

• cep.jpg
    cep.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 37
correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you just hold down the SHIFT key instead of the CTRL key, then right click and drag? If i understand your problem, this would be the way to go. Anything that you do to the track in the "waveform view" will affect both files - but you can change the volume, panning, placement etc. of each in the multitrack view.

Back