2 Basic Questions on Computer-based Recording

Mr_pink_eyes

I am a newbie to computer recording. I do have 15 years of home multi-track recording experience, however; 8 years on Tascam 4 tracks, and for the last 4 years, on an AKAI DPS 12 direct-to-disk. Now I have sold the DPS 12 along with a bunch of the outboard equipment with the hopes of setting up a computer based Digi002 Rack Pro Tools system (or equivalent).

I’m writing to ask some basic questions about recording on a computer. Here goes:

Q1: One thing I really liked about My DPS 12 was my ability to “jam/ rehearse” with it. I’d lay down a drum machine track, then a bass track and just start jamming on the guitar in order to find new ideas. I could spend all night doing just this simple operation. Is this possible on a Pro Tools-type system, just monitoring the backing tracks I’ve laid down and jamming on top, while adding some verb or other effects. I suppose it must be, but seeing as though I’ve never spoken to a Pro Tools user, I’m asking you all.

Q2: One work has been freaking me out with computer-based recording: LATENCY. I gather this is a very slight delay between the music played back and your actual playing, resulting in problematic recording. In any case, it doesn’t sound very musical. If I spend a decent amount on a very powerful P4 or Xeon computer, with 1 GB of RAM and all the fixings, am I still going to experience this problem? With my DPS 12, I never experienced anything of the sort. Recording was perfectly timed.

I’m also considering going with a Korg D1600 or similar Yamaha product if this latency thing occurs. Does anyone who has used both types (Software and D1600, etc.) have any input on the choice between the two?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

SM

Q1. Yes, you can.

Q2. You will need to download the newest WDM drivers for your PC based soundcard, to reduce latency.

For normal overdubbing, latency is not an issue unless you monitor the signal through a DXi or VST effects plug-in. It also crops up as an issue in playing softsynths in real-time. With the right combination of computer operating system, recording software, and soundcard driver, the latency can be small enough that you can effectively play softsynths in real time and monitor off the output of an effects plug-in.

Back