2.2 question

B.SABBATH

I'm trying to use loop recording with auto punch in sonar 2.2...

in the record options I checked 'auto punch overwrite.' I did about 5 takes of a solo (audio).. when I listened back I heard all the takes playing back at the same time, even though each new take should have over written the previous one.. I only want to keep the last one.. the other takes aren't visible either, but they're all playing back..

is it a glitch or something? I tried everything.. it works if I manually record over it without looping..

I ordered sonar 3 but it won't be here until next week.. I would really like to record something this weekend..

thanks for any input..

make sure you check the little box in record options to store takes in a single track? Sounds like you're having it store each take on a seperate track. Also, autopunch and overwrite are two different options, and I don't think you can select both of them. Gotta be one or the other. Overwrite will erase the previous take, and you shouldn't hear it anymore, unless it is longet than the newest take. Autopunc will let you specify where to start and stop recording.
Ed

thanks for the reply..

Overwrite seems to be working but not auto punch.. I selected to store in a single track, and auto punch (Replace) and it doesn't replace.. for some reason I hear all the scratch takes if I use auto punch.. if I choose 'store in seperate tracks', it does, but I don't want to save the previous takes..

I'm trying to set it up so I can loop a section and hear a few seconds before it actually starts recording.. this way I can do 40 takes or so without ever taking my hands off the guitar, and in between each take I would have a few seconds before I reached the IN point again.. I only need to keep or hear the last take..

seems like a basic function that I can't get going smoothly..

I guess this is a dumb question and that's why no one is answering?

ya bunch of snobby ass sonar users! :mad:

I'll figure it out myself.

thanks for at least trying guitar ed..

B.SABBATH said:
I guess this is a dumb question and that's why no one is answering?

ya bunch of snobby ass sonar users! :mad:
Maybe not the best way to get help, b.sabbath. :(

You are using a combination of Loop Recording and Auto Punch - which seems like it should be possible. To be honest, I've never used loop recording myself. However, I just tried it and I get the same behavior as you do.

If you just select Loop Recording and Overwrite (replace), it works as advertised. However, if you select Loop Recording and Auto Punch (which is also a "Replace" option), the program stores all of the takes, which is not as advertised.

Obviously the problem with just using Loop Recording and Overwrite is that you do not get a lead-in. Recording starts as soon as the Track is looped.

This sounds like a bug to me. You might want to write Cakewalk, or try posting on the Sonar forum on the Cakewalk site.

In the meantime, you can workaround this by selecting the option to Store Takes in Separate Tracks. Of course, this is a nuisance, as you will need to delete all the unused takes and move the good take to the appropriate track - however, for now it should allow you to continue recording.

Let us know if you get an anwer to this.

sorry man.. I had a little buzz going, and I unsuccessfully went for the monty effect.. it's funny when he uses the mad face.. I appreciate the help you've given me on the other site dachay..

thanks for trying it out.. I haven't searched the cakewalk forum yet, but I'm very disappointed to hear you say it's a bug.. this is probably my most used feature in any recorder.. you said you never use loop recording? what do you do instead? unless you nail things first take, or don't do punch in's..

I'm surprised no one ever mentioned this before.. it's a very lame thing.. it's one of the most basic functions of any digital recorder I've ever used..

if they didn't fix this very basic thing in sonar 3, I'll have to become an active sonar hater.. I tested this function at my friends house.. he uses cubase and looping/auto punch works flawlessly..

Happy Easter!:D

Back