1x12 vs. 2x12 combo

guitarplayr82

Hey guys. I'm currently in the market for my first tube amp. After going to Guitar Center and testing out numerous combos, I've decided I like the Mesa Express 5:50 the best. I'm now prepared to purchase a used 5:50, but I have one final decision to make. I can get the 1x12 version of the 5:50 for the same price as the 2x12 version (with casters). Since the 2x12 version isn't in production anymore, I couldn't test it out side by side with the 1x12 version at Guitar Center. I'm not sure which one I would like better and I feel like it might be a waste to get the 1x12 version when I can get the 2x12 for the same price. Here's the question: aside from the obvious differences in weight and portability of the two amps, what are the main tonal differences between an open back 1x12 combo and an open back 2x12 combo?

All the 2x12 combos I've ever tried seemed to lack the definition and punch the 1x12 combos had. They also seemed a bit midrangy and harder to dial in a great clean tone. Is that characteristic of 2x12 combos in general, or was it just the 2x12 combos I tried that all coincidentally sounded like that?

Thanks for the help!

Back