1st Stereo Recording

joehempel

Just got my new Behringer C2 Mics today, and used one of those with my MXL 990 to try doing some stereo mix with my classical.

Here is a link to the files. The ones with "StMixRev" have a bit of Reverb, the others do not. There is also a touch more compression to it for loudness.

http://www.box.net/shared/22k3sgz8ku

Used my Ibanez EW Koa Classical with the mics going into a Zoom R16.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about, and your the first person to say something...doesn't mean it's not there though.

The only thing I can think of is its the strings hitting the frets.

I listened to it again. I think it's the hiss interfering with similar guitar frequencies. The first half second of breezy is pure hiss and then you strike your first note.

Okay, I didn't hear the hiss before because I was using some pretty good headphones, and I couldn't hear it in the car either. I plugged in my crap headphones and could hear the hiss...I guess I perceive it a little different because I don't hear a warble....still working with Mic placement and mixing it though, so hopefully I'll figure some stuff out in a bit.

I'm wanting to get some good stuff going in order to re-record my CD in stereo.

Woah, I'm not a sound expert or anything like that I just like sound and I dabble in it. I have no clue as to mic placement and I've only got the basics of mixing down. I'm using Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, which are pretty good as well I suppose. Now if your pretty good headphones don't betray the hiss at the start then I wouldn't trust them for a minute. The hiss comes from your mic, not your headphones.

I listened to the first two on the page. They sounded good. The tracks are panned pretty wide, so on headphones it sounds like a 30 ft wide guitar. :).

Seriously other than a little background noise here and there, they sounded real nice.

Woah, I'm not a sound expert or anything like that I just like sound and I dabble in it. I have no clue as to mic placement and I've only got the basics of mixing down. I'm using Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, which are pretty good as well I suppose. Now if your pretty good headphones don't betray the hiss at the start then I wouldn't trust them for a minute. The hiss comes from your mic, not your headphones.

I understand that's where it comes from, but I didn't hear the hiss on 2 separate headphones, 2 sets of speakers, and my car stereo. So I know it's there, but when i do hear it, it is BARELY perceptable, so I do trust my headphones. The only time I heard it obvious was in my cheapo headphones. I'm not going to get a way from hiss from the mic, I don't have a good pre-amp, and am using phantom power from my Zoom....so maybe one of those might help, but every pre-amp i've bought has a 60hz hum, so I think my wiring in my house doesn't work for it...I dunno.

"I don't have a good pre-amp"

I reckon there's yer hiss. Or:

I assume hiss is the floor of an amplification stage's signal...fed with an inadequately strong audio signal...then recorded. If there's a way to reduce the preamp's potential, and increase the sensitivity to the mic input signal, y' might be able to lower the "hiss floor" into the DAW, I'm thinkin'.

I'm not sure if active mics...phantom powered...induce a hiss to the signal??? Anyone??

I don't think so, I'm going into my Zoom R16 which records to an SD Card. I'm hoping a preamp will do the job well. I just have to find one that doesn't buzz on me. Of course I've only tried a $30 preamp, and the one that was in the Alesis Mixer, about a year ago.

Back