1st set up - opinions?

Roaf

Dumbass
I just bought a Dell 8600 for school - Pentium M, 1.6 GHz, 512 RAM, 60G HD.
I am thinking of getting an M-Audio 410 ($399) and Cubase SL ($299).

Is that a good set up for someone who wants to record single tracks in the rehersal room and also record gigs (either through the soundboard/mixer or with a couple of room mics)?

The $700 for the hardware and software is pretty much stretching my budget.
Its my understanding that the firewire set up is much better than USB. The notebook has a firewire port, albiet a 4-pin one.

Does this sound like a good (and fairly noncomplex) way to start off?

Thanks

Roaf

perhaps overkill if your only doing a few tracks.
I recommend a PCI interface over firewire & USB.
It really depends on how many ins and outs you want, if your going to use an external mixer for all your tracking, analog or digital devices.

I was actually going for overkill figuring I would grow into it.
I bought more computer than I needed hoping to extend the time until I am forced to upgrade...

IMO, USB 2.0 is just about as good as firewire, and I've had less problems with USB, so I wouldn't be afraid of it. Just make sure it's USB 2.0, and that your laptop has USB 2.0 ports (it should).

Before you spend $300 on Cubase, look into N-Track (http://www.fasoft.com) It's only $60 and it should do just about everything Cubase can do. There is a demo to check it out before you buy. It will free up some cash for hardware, which can really make or break your recordings. What's your budget for mics, pres, monitors, plug-ins, etc?
Good luck!

Got the mics, monitors,etc... already.
we'll see about the plug ins.
Will the software that comes w/ the 410 let me do some basic multi-tracking out of the box?
I don't mind doing some scratch demos for writing/practing purposes.
If I can put off buying the software (Cubase, Sonic Foundry, etc...) until I need something more advanced that would be better.

Thanks for all the help.
Roaf

Back