1st real attempt

I love the song to death! Great melody and chord structure. The snare sounds really weak though. It's just like "dink". I don't know if it's the way it's tuned, eq'd or what but it sounds like taping on a cooking pot. The guitar may need to be doubled. I like the way is sounds at the intro centered, but when it gets into the heavier parts, it needs to me doubled and panned.

If it were me I'd add a synth pad somewhere, but I'm me and overuse synths period so, it'd most likely be a good idea not to. I'm kind of biased.

Great song though. I love it.

-Adan,

I thought in general it sounded very good.

But I thought the kick was quite a bit too loud.

I caught a couple of pitch problems. One was on the second syllable of "smother" at about 1:12.

Can't decide if I'd rather have some of the mud removed from the rhythm guitar or not. It's a bit muddy - but one person's mud is another's "warmth".

The guitars make the mix lean to the left. Not enough on the right side to balance it out.

I love the song to death! Great melody and chord structure. The snare sounds really weak though. It's just like "dink". I don't know if it's the way it's tuned, eq'd or what but it sounds like taping on a cooking pot. The guitar may need to be doubled. I like the way is sounds at the intro centered, but when it gets into the heavier parts, it needs to me doubled and panned.

If it were me I'd add a synth pad somewhere, but I'm me and overuse synths period so, it'd most likely be a good idea not to. I'm kind of biased.

Great song though. I love it.

-Adan,

I kind of agree on both counts. It sounds a touch dull and my inexperience is playing against me in trying to figure out what it is and what to do. I'll definitely work with doubling the guitar track since that seems to be the #1 thing everyone here has noticed. I tried bringing the snare out a little by doubling it and EQ'ing it a tad, nothing major.

We will be rerecording a few songs this Sunday so this mix/version is purely for me to tinker with and try to figure how best to tackle the tracks. Hopefully I will have better sounding tracks to work with next time. I'll work with this one until then and repost either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

I really appreciate the input! Thanks! Stay tuned...;)

Hey - just checked this one out...I like it.

Note: I am listening on a laptop, but it is hooked up to bookshelf speakers and a sub and I'm pretty used to the sound.

Overall, I thought maybe the kick and guitar were a bit too loud and the bass and vocals not loud enough. The bass in particular disappeared on me altogether at times.

On the plus side, the whole thing has a really nice raw energy to it and I like the sounds your friends are getting. I thought the guitar had a nice, substantial growl, and the vocal performance was really good. The kit, other than the kick, sounded great to me.

Sounds like it would be fun to record these guys...hope you're enjoying it. Thanks.

Ok. so I've reworked the song a tad. I can't really get a good balance on the bass as it sounds different on the 3 systems I've played it back on.

I went through and listened to it in mono to see if everything was ok, and it seems everything stands out, nothing buried.

Let me know if it's an improvement or if I went the wrong direction with it.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=25955

Hi jjones1700,

Much better, deserves a new thread. I'm listening on Sony MDR-V6 headphones and have absolutely no problem with the bass, and the guitar has much better balance/placement in the mix.

I think you should use this a reference for how the mono mix should sound and take advantage of stereo to push the guitar wider (spread some doubles) to give more space down the middle for the vocal to own... and then let the guitar back down the middle for lead sections with no vocal.

Very noice :)

Im on PC speakers with a sub and my right ear has a heavy wax build up :)

listened to the last version

Levels sound fine to me...bass is there...trust me every tune I play with bass problems shows up on these things, I just ignore it generally lol...the guitar has some nice lowdown grit on it, Id maybe like a little more HFs but great tone otherwise..maybe a little buried when Animal gets behind the drum kit at the end :D

great performance, nice vocals, real live feel about it and nice tune

Texans....arent you a funny bunch of mofos ;)

Back