1979 (?) The Teac Model 5B : The Plot Thickens

SongJohnn

As a longtime die-hard '70s tascam fan, I've always wondered how to date these suckers.
I know a lot of folks bash these boards as unusable, but I have a penchant for authentic '70s sound. I run this board with a late '70s Teac 80-8 recorder, a matching DBX noise reduction module, and a reel of early '70s 1/2" scotch 203 tape. The sound is...well, '70s! Victory!

The sound: Sure, quite dark, but not noisy really at all! And this is very old old thin tape! Vocals come out distorted...it's amazing...to me considering I was raised on digital....no tone. So I'm determined to prove that pleasing recordings can be made on the M5 and 80-8 pair with vintage 1/2" tape.

The other day, I opened my model 5 up, and found a date code on one the PCB connectors. It reads 79.9.12. In japan dates are written year, month, and day:

2.jpg.opt593x412o0,0s593x412.jpg

The serial number on this mixer is 480333.

I once had an older Model 5A, and the same blue connector had a date of 76.x.x !

So perhaps this is a way of dating?! Folks, take out your Master Monitor Module on yur Model-5B, write the date down and check the serial number? Who knows? I know a lot of times old parts are used on newer pieces, but who knows?

4.jpg.opt778x408o0,0s778x408.jpg

3.jpg.opt816x612o0,0s816x612.jpg

All thoroughly cleaned:

1.JPG.opt734x550o0,0s734x550.JPG

I'm currently working on a progressive rock album called "The Meaning of Life". The album is going to be mixed onto this gear I have outlined. Even though the album is far from completion, I invite you listen to some of these "test" tracks so that you too can hear the sound of the Model 5. (note, outboard effects are 1976 Univox tape echo on vocals and guitar, elec. guitar is a homemade '70s "Kibson," the bass is a 1969 hollowbody Univox fiddle bass and synth is a 1976 Octave Cat)

-This is a song called "Jazz Outing" recorded to the tape setup I described above....you'll certainly hear the crunch of the tape.

Jazz Outing (tape, version 1, LESS hissy)

Jazz Outing (tape, version 2, more hissy)

-Now here is another demo'd version of "Jazz Outing" again using the Model 5, only this time, I recorded all of the tracks straight to the computer. I think this should settle the analog vs digital debate.....yes, THEY DO produce two completely DIFFERENT SOUNDS!

Jazz Outing (Computer)

-This is a song I'm working on for the album called "Strange Room". This track has vocals on it to give you an realistic idea of what the the Model 5 sounds like...vocals begin halfway in...vocals recorded to a very old mid '70s Shure microphone ....with a 1/4" output socket instead of XLR!

Strange Room

-And here is a "jam"...two tracks...guitar, bass.....

Blues Jam

RecordingGear1FullSize.JPG

...Long live the Model 5. Only thing better is a Model-10! And anyone who disagrees....well, I'll trade you my Model 15 for it!

John

I had an older board, I believe just a "Model-5" which was probably made in 1976. The sound was MUCH more muffled than this Model 5B I'm working with. In some respects, I wish I still had that older one because I dunno...I really get off to that old "flat" unrealistic sound....but no doubt, the older Model 5 I had REFUSED to sound clean...it was always sluggish sounding with the bass etc etc....actually, I have a recording sample I can pull up here that I did with that old Model 5 board from '76....check out how muffled it is! Again, recorded to the same reel of 203 tape, different 80-8 but still '70s with DBX NR....only instead of the Model 5B mentioned in the first post, an older '76 Model-5: All '70s mics and '70s drums etc etc:

Look My Way

I know the M5B uses 4559 ICs where the 5 and 5A uses 4558...they're just destined to sound different...

Thanks for listening
John

Here's a few more recordings I made with early '70s scotch 203 1/2" tape, a later '70s 80-8 1/2" recorder....and a older '76 Model 5 board. To record this all, I overdub every instrument one by one:

This is a disco song called "Paradise" ...Rhodes piano from '73...hammond organ from '59 cranked LOUD through the matching leslie during the solo...etc etc...

Paradise

This is a jam...late '70s Premier drums, '70s Fender bass...Strat through tube amp ('70s silver face)....the reverb is digital though....

Mutli - Track tape Jam

Last edited:
it would be easier to compare the 3 versions of "jazz outing" if the analog ones didn't have so much reverb/echo.
Overall, the sound you are getting out of your stuff is very good.
Do you have a 70's car, 70's clothes, and a 70's girlfriend also?:p

Last edited:
These songs sound great!!!!
Love the 70's vibe.
Nice looking gear too.Looks much cooler than just a computer sitting on adesk.
Just a question on the drums.....how many mics??? any outboard compression????

This is great. Just got my Tascam Model 70 1/2" 4-track back up & running, mated to a Teac 5 mixer. You're in San Diego too? Maybe it's just San Diegans who get this 70's vibe :D

Damn! That's a great little recorder! I know of a handful of 70-8 recordings actually MADE in the '70s....
check out 700west.com ....the studio owner recorded tons of bands back then on a 70-8 and he's got mp3s up to show it.
Unfortunately, he never used an M5 but rather, a Stevenson console.

Does your machine have DBX? Any pics! I'm new to SD....maybe you know more about it than I.

"Paradise"

Man oh man!!! This is so 70s! This is great! Great keyboard sound and Guitar work. This could have been the soundtrack to Baretta or Kojak!
Guitar? ES-335? Authentic!!!

Nice Octave Cat!

I have a minimoog, a couple of vintage string synths, and a Roland SH2, to name a few.

I don't use noise reduction with my deck -- sounds great as is (and I slam the meters!).

pic of my Tascam 70:
193629_1877674537881_1121773345_3348571_6072793_o.jpg

Back