18 ohms SM57...Fake? Please help..

chess999

hey guys.
I'm trying to measure the resistance between pins 2 and 3 to double check if it's the standard 400ohms I've read about. when I check it though I get a reading of 18 ohms? is this correct when not under load? Am I missing something? I know fakes are supposed to be well over 400ohm. everything else on the mic checks out to be consistent with a genuine mexi shure.

thanks for any input,
Dan

hey guys.
I'm trying to measure the resistance between pins 2 and 3 to double check if it's the standard 400ohms I've read about. when I check it though I get a reading of 18 ohms? is this correct when not under load? Am I missing something? I know fakes are supposed to be well over 400ohm. everything else on the mic checks out to be consistent with a genuine mexi shure.

thanks for any input,
Dan

18 does sounds low. Although (with my very limited knowledge) no load at 18o doesnt mean its a fake. Shure apparently verify real and fake mics, so if your worried maybe post it to them and ask?

What does it sounds like? Can you post any photos? Where did you buy it from?

got it off ebay from what I thought was a dealer...I could try to post photos but everything in that category seems to match properly from all the threads I've read on the net. I just don't get this resistance value of 18ohm thing. anyhow, yeah , maybe I should write to shure for their response.

thanks,

hey guys.

thanks for any input,
Dan

You sure you're using the right scale on the ohmmeter? Or is this one of those auto-ranging things? Just the first thing that comes to mind.

Id stay away from Ebay shure mics while this is happening.

Id gethem from the pawn shops where you can get a good look at them...Id rather have a scratched and beaten up SM57 than a fake one.

The best way to tell a fake SM57 is to do a simultaneous vocal sound comparison with a real SM57 (or a SM58 with the pop screen removed).
You can also weigh it and compare the weight against weight published by Shure.

The fakes sound thin and tinny compared to the full, meaty sound of a real SM57. And they weigh considerably less.

From first-hand experience with a fake - confirmed by Shure technicians.

hey guys.

You are measuring DCR. The 400 ohm is impedance--two completely different things.
As long as the mic sounds OK, you are fine.

Best, M

Although the DCR of a 57 should be around 260 ohms . . .

Finally, it certainly became obvious I never measured 57. To my embarassement (or on the contrary) I have to admit, in fact, I actually even never held one in my hand... :eek::o

But boy... 260 Ohms... they could do it better...
No wonder, I hear some replace that thingie...

Best, M

Back