1600 AMD Athlon for CD mastering

river_recording

I just bought an e machines package from Tiger Direct. It's a 1600+ AMD Athlon XP processor. It has a CD RW 24x max write. It has a 40 gb hard drive. It will be upgraded to 256 MB ram as soon as the delivery comes in. It is pre installed with Windows XP. I will be using it in my 24 track ADAT studio as a mastering burner and post production recorder only. I have another computer for internetting and other functions. First of all I'm a computer moron and until now have had a friend come over with his computer and he and I master my final mixes and burn. I'm getting backed up with projects with his limited availability (as he works a 40 hour week. Can someone suggest a sound card that will work with my e machines system? I would like to stay in the $200.00 price range. My friend has been using a soundblaster live sound card and cool edit pro software. It sounds good to me, but I've read threads that say they are noisy. Most of the time I'll only need to master stereo mixes and burn CDs for bands. I also record audio books. I record the reader on ADAT. I record music for background on ADAT. In final productions music and sound effects are added one layer at a time in a multi track screen. The levels are adjusted to the verse. We have used as many as 6 layers. I have to have the ability of jogging the sounds back and forth to place them correctly and must be able to ride the volume. Being limited to recording with 2 hi impedance inputs at a time is not a problem. More inputs would be nice, but not necessary. I saw a MIA 24/96 with 2 balanced analog ins at +4db. It includes cool edit pro. It looks good but I use Mackie sub groups outs and they are -10db. Are there any suggestions for sound cards that will work with my system? I asked the salesman at Tiger Direct about options for sound cards. Of course he said hook up was simple. Remember I'm a computer moron! All my life I have been turning knobs to process music It's hard for me to get used to a mouse and computer specs. Please take it easy. Thanks! Oh No I just realized this is under microphones. Moron certification! Help!

Back