16 track

Dr ZEE said:
Because the methodology of getting those graphs is questionable (softly speaking, that is).

Agreed, those graphs mean essentially nothing when it comes to analog.

The Ghost of FM said:
The original idea of syncing up two multi-track machines was aimed more so at doing this with two 24 track machines as there never existed a 46 track analog recorder for music production work and this was the only way to go about achieving this.

I think you are correct. However, John Stephens did manage to get 40 track 2" machines to work!

Otto

Dr ZEE said:
The term "demo quality" is not a descriptive but rather is a manipulative one. It's one of those terms that are being used to "guide" a consumer through endless array of halls, stairs and levels in The Palace Of Products and Services. "Welcome to The Palace. Please, stay and keep walking, there is always a higher level here. " :)

Another good point, Doc.

Kasey said:
how would a tascam MS-16 stack up against an Otari MX-70? they seem to be pretty similar machines. possibly different noise reduction? different... anything? Im sure theyre both good but does anyone have a preference?

also, i've heard great things said about 1/2" 8 track sound in general, but ive seen some people scoff at 1" 16 track sound, saying things like its really only good for demos.... shouldn't they sound exactly alike? Am i missing something or are people just retarded?

I've been using wide track analog machines for about a decade, and I can hear significant differences, at times, between wide track machines and narrow track machines, but I would never scoff at a decently made 1" 16 track. Most likely, anyone who does is trying to sell you something! :)

There is a lot to be said for the huge sound, superb electronics, and robust build quality of those pro machines, but there comes with it a tendency for some to regard all narrow track machines as toys. That attitude is mostly arrogance (or marketing), in my opinion. The main reason I use the wide track machines is so that I can record without noise reduction and still have quiet tracks.

If you want to go that route, it's not that hard these days to pick up a 2" machine, perhaps with both 16 and 24 track headstacks. But there may be costs and hassles that you don't want to deal with (shipping a really heavy machine, time/money for repairs on a really old machine, 2" tape stock, noise reduction units, scarce parts, etc.) The decently made 1" 16 tracks, OTOH, may be newer, still have that subjectively nice analog tape sound, have lower tape cost, etc. I can see a lot of positives there.

As far as 1/2" 8 track sounding exactly like 1" 16 track, well, the machines aren't going to be exactly the same, even if they are the same brand and series, much less a different make or model. If you want to be a little picky, there is a tendency for smaller formats to have slightly better sound quality than the larger format versions of the same machine. This may be due to any or all of a variety of factors: better tape to head contact across the tape with the narrower tape (1/2" vs. 1" vs. 2"); less overheating due to less electronics in the same box with the same fan(s); less load on the same power supply unit; less strain on reel or capstan motors; etc.

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
There is a lot to be said for the huge sound, superb electronics, and robust build quality of those pro machines, but there comes with it a tendency for some to regard all narrow track machines as toys. That attitude is mostly arrogance (or marketing), in my opinion. The main reason I use the wide track machines is so that I can record without noise reduction and still have quiet tracks.

Well said... shows a good grasp of the technology. :)

I had my doubts about the MSR-16S but I got a killer deal on one. I had been using a TSR-8 and liked the results. I worried about the tiny track width but having used both I havent considered going back. A 16 track gives you so many more options (like 6 drum tracks!) I hated the NR on the TSR-8 but the dolby S is transparent to my ear. The guy I bought it from had the heads relapped from JFR for $270 in 11/03 (i have the receipt) so I cant imagine that it would cost that much more and since i'm just a part timer they will probably last me for years. so, in summary...8 is great but 16 is better..i still want a studer however, but who doesn't?

brooksy said:
i still want a studer however, but who doesn't?

Me. I don't want to have learn to deal with another brand of recorder. :) That's part of why I'm still trying to sell my Ampex machine.

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
Me. I don't want to have learn to deal with another brand of recorder. :) That's part of why I'm still trying to sell my Ampex machine.

Are you keeping any multitracks for your own use ?

Back