16 Channel Interface with no preamps?

Jeff_D

So, right now, I have 2 Delta 1010lt cards in my computer. They work but, they're cheap and old and I think I'm ready for something better- I've been using these for about 8 years now. I have decent monitors and I think I have the acoustics of my room fairly well sorted out. I'd love to just pick up a MOTU 24IO and be done with it, but I'd also love to not spend $1500 :laughings::o. I wish MOTU made a "16IO" :rolleyes::laughings:

Along with the 2 1010lt's, I have a Soundraft M8 mixer which has 1/4" analog direct outs on each of 8 channels. I really like this board and it also serves as the mixer for the PA in our practice space. So, the Soundcraft feeds 8 channels and I have a PreSonus D8 that feeds the other 8. The D8 has 1/4" analog outputs and ADAT out but only 48kHz. I'm not really married to the D8, but I have it and its ok.

The majority of stuff out there now seems to have preamps built in, but frankly I doubt the pres in like a MOTU 8Pre or a FireStudio will be better than my Soundcraft board. I'm also hesitant to use the ADAT on the D8 since its only 48kHz.

So.... any thoughts? :) Should I try to commission the first 16IO from MOTU? :D

I am in a similar place - high end mics and mic pre with a Delta 1010LT card - Mercedes with a Kia engine...

I've looked at stuff like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apogee-DA-16X-2...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2e6bb92

I have a hard time getting excited about upgrading at this time. I'm sure I'd be able to enjoy an RME unit, but when you make an mp3 at the end and give it away for free on the internet will it make any difference? That combined with what I think is going to happen in this next few years (technological mayhem) makes me want to keep using the Delta and concentrate on playing live. But like you, I'm looking and don't need so many channels, 8 is fine.

I'm of the mind that improvements won't seem redundant until the specs are much higher than most people think is needed. The "normal" view in 2010 is that mp3's are great. I think they're horrible and it won't stop until it's something that people today would think was way, way overkill... maybe 512 bit/2048MHz. Real life is the speed of light. So I'm tempted to keep using the Delta and wait til the storm clears, and at the same time I'm on the lookout for a deal if one comes around.

It would seem like getting two 8 ch units is more likely to happen cheap. Line 6, Motu, Event, Prosonus... those are the likely ones to pick up cheap and they would be a big step up from my Delta... or in the end (mp3 played on laptop speakers) would it really be?

I am in a similar place - high end mics and mic pre with a Delta 1010LT card - Mercedes with a Kia engine...

I've looked at stuff like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apogee-DA-16X-2...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2e6bb92

I have a hard time getting excited about upgrading at this time. I'm sure I'd be able to enjoy an RME unit, but when you make an mp3 at the end and give it away for free on the internet will it make any difference? That combined with what I think is going to happen in this next few years (technological mayhem) makes me want to keep using the Delta and concentrate on playing live. But like you, I'm looking and don't need so many channels, 8 is fine.

I'm of the mind that improvements won't seem redundant until the specs are much higher than most people think is needed. The "normal" view in 2010 is that mp3's are great. I think they're horrible and it won't stop until it's something that people today would think was way, way overkill... maybe 512 bit/2048MHz. Real life is the speed of light. So I'm tempted to keep using the Delta and wait til the storm clears, and at the same time I'm on the lookout for a deal if one comes around.

It would seem like getting two 8 ch units is more likely to happen cheap. Line 6, Motu, Event, Prosonus... those are the likely ones to pick up cheap and they would be a big step up from my Delta... or in the end (mp3 played on laptop speakers) would it really be?

I've been window shopping for about the last 10 years now. I literally cannot think of one 24/96 16 analog input unit, firewire, pci or usb. I wonder if the converters in my D8 are better than the 1010lt? I could get something like a MOTU 2408 http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MTU2408MK3 but then I feel like I'm paying for a shitload of TDIF channels that I'll NEVER be able to use. I was somewhat surprised as I was cruisin around the net today to see they still sell the delta 1010 rack mount, and I was REALLY surprised that its STILL $600 lol. I don't think that things changed in over 10 years.

Right now I'm back in a band thats going real well and I think I'll actually get alot of use from a new unit. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I'd be looking...

Am I correct in assuming this about most 8 ch interfaces: you could use two and get 16 ch? If that's the case then I'd rather have two so that when one breaks I still have something.

I'm not convinced that anything from companies like Tascam or Motu would be a significant improvement over the Delta. I don't have a good feeling for either of those companies, everything I've had from them is not for me.

Before I had my Delta 1010LT I had a Event Layla 20-bit unit and to my ears, despite being lower specs, the tone quality was better than the Delta.

What I don't know is this: Way back, 1980, I was on a 48 ch Neve with two 24 track MCI's, all vintage Neumanns... the Beatles would have loved it. That's the sound I have in my ear. If I heard the best RME, Lynx or Apogee would I think it sucks? That's what I wonder - is any digital any good yet?

I got sorta sick recently - I broke out my songs from 10 years ago made on an Otari MX5050 reel to reel and to me it's very, very obvious that it sounds way better than what I'm using now. Way fatter.

I haven't been at this quite as long as you. I started into recording about 12 years ago. My only experiences are anecdotal- This guys friend or that guys band made whatever recording on like a Firepod or whatever, and it seemed like they were getting better sounds than what I'm getting. I feel good that I have some reasonably quality mics, I think the Soundcraft is as good or better than anything else in that price range and I've done my acoustics to the point where I'm getting pretty good results when I mix down and take my recordings out into the real world. For lack of any better words, I think my recordings are kinda muddy and they don't have alot of shine to them. I guess I'd say they lack clarity. Based on everything else I have in my "studio", I think the 1010lt are by far my weak link. Now, maybe not- maybe its my mixing, or my sources, but after the time I've spend up to this point, I think I've put in the time to the point where I'd be able to make good use of a higher quality / better sounding signal path.

A year ago, I didn't have anything really worthwhile to make me want to upgrade. I was doing recordings for friends bands here and there. I've rarely ever charged a band, although I've accepted lots in trade- mostly house painting and other house work type stuff. Now, I'm in a new band, and I think with the amount of material we have and the momentum I think this band has, I think an upgrade is warranted. I'm due for a new computer now too :o. I really don't think what I want is out there... The MOTU 24io is about the closest I've seen to what I need so far.

A problem I have with upgrading is that if I spend $1000 on a Neumann it will be worth $1300 in 5 years, while any $1000 interface will be worth about a medium french fry in that amount of time.

If you've got a moment, check out these two songs I did, both tv show type themes. The first was done on my Delta 1010LT this year, and the second (yes there's mistakes) on my Otari MX5050 reel to reel in the early 90's. Yes, the Delta is clearer and I like to think maybe I've improved a bit, but they sound opposite - the Otari sounds like a pyramid shape and the Delta sounds like an upside down pyramid. One is top heavy the other bottom heavy.

http://musicmusicmusic.cn/comparisson.html

I get the feeling that even if I had the top A/D convertors the moment I made it into an mp3 the treble would sound like dog shit.

Back