$1500 to spend ,big decision...hear me out

Garik

Registered Luser
Ok guys i've been reading way more than even thinking these days about studio setups,and i actualy came close to parting my studio,but i couldnt bring my self to actualy do it.So i sold my (out of the chain)gear like the us-2400 mixer and my voice master pro,and i got $1500 to spend,and it is burning a hole in my pocket,while i sit here and pretend like its a million,lol.

I was thinking about going OTB mixing and decided to spend the whole sum on a 32 channel mixer so i wont have to upgrade it anymore...used ofcorse.I was searching ebay and all,while thinking ,what i could have bought if i stayed ITB ,like a really nice AD/DA converter like the Lynx two,etc since i only need 2 or 4 channels if i stay ITB.

But the problem with working without mixer are killing me,i dont want to make music if i dont have a nice 32 channel A&H mixer to get me in the mood.am i just a gear whore or is it ok? lol

So what can i do?I'm so confused:(

If you are a console typer of guy (as I am), then my feeling is that you will not be happy until you get a console or a control surface.

So your task is to discern if there is an ITB solution you can afford that includes a decent control surface. Compare that against getting a console and a storage medium (tape, hard disk recorder, etc).

FWIW, I work largely ITB but I would feel lost without my Tascam DM24, which I use largely as a control surface and routing device. I no longer use any of its preamps or convertors other than its aux sends/returns.

Thanks for the reply Fraserhutch,

Actualy i had a 24 channel control surface us-2400 but it wasnt enough hardware for me.
See i'm trying to decide if i should go ITB or OTB and even though ITB is cheaper way of mixing,i dont want to settle for it.

You know,i guess i am a gear whore,because now that i think about it,i'd rather have a big non functional mixer in my studio ,than no mixer at all :eek:

sorry :(

1)Anyway,i think i'l get a LYNX 2 card and Grace 101 X2 how's that? I allready bought 2 AT4033's so i'l just upgrade my frontline instead of whoring.

2)How does AT4033 get along with Grace 101?

One more thing. If i only use an analog mixer for mixing, i will use line ins right? So the preamps are not so important ? All i need is a good EQ and a nice summing bus with lots of headroom?

Thanks.

Rolf this thing is callin my name :D

the funny thing is that i got those V8 's too ,i seen this auction only 70 times yesterday,but it looks kinda old.

I want allen and heath,so i'l just save some moneys for now.... :(

Ok fellas i have finaly decided to go fully ITB and now i need your help of buying the:

dual preamps and stereo AD/DA

What can i expect to pay to get some entry level pro setup of my front end.

I will be matching the preamps with AT4033

i was looking into Mytek,Apogee and Lynx....so far i think Lyx22 because of the price and some dual preamp like ....i dont know ,i need clean ones so i can add color later.

help me :(

Not sure this is in your budget but you are tracking somewhat for what I have built which is the Portico 5012 preamp into Lynx IIc sound card.

You can go for the Lynx 22 but the IIc has a couple of extra ins and outs that are real handy for routing. But this will be another $300-$400 dollars. If the money is tight, the 22 is still a great option.

The Portico is a top notch preamps with a high shelf filter. It has two preamps for XY setups on acoustic or vocal and guitar simultaneous recording.

Back