12ax7 substutute

Mike-Mat

Hello All,

First post here. I did a search and couldn't find anything specific.

Bought a Behringer Untragain Pro 2200 Mic preamp used. It has a single 12ax7LP Sovtek. I was getting a little crackling and since I have some really nice tubes I thought I'd change it.

So the specs say it's a 12ax7 but when you crack open the case (which isn't easy) it's actually a 12ax7LP. My question is can I swap a different tube in it's place and which would be the best choice. Here's what I have available.

(2) Sylvania Green label 5751 Triple Mica, double support rod.
(1) Sylvania 12ax7a halo
(1) Sylvania 12ax7WA green label (military spec).
(1) GE/Hammond 12au7 halo
(4) 12ax7 from a Lowery Organ (Halo)
(2) RCA 12ax7a halo.

Which one would be the closest match to this Sovtek 12ax7LP?

Thanks for your input,

Mike

The 5751 (70%) and 12AU7 (19%) will give you less output, though they should be OK too, they just might not really work well for the preamp, especilaly the 12AU7...
...any of the 12AX7 (100%) will be fine, just pick the one you like best.

That "LP" thing is just Sovtek nomenclature...it's still just a 12AX7..

I have all these tubes because of an Ampeg Guitar amp I used to own. I became addicted to buying and swapping tubes. I always liked the way the Lowery 12ax7 sounded, so I'll give one of those a try. It also needs to be a tube I can bare to part with, in case I ever sell this preamp. It's a Pain in the @$$ to take apart.

Thanks for your timely input,

Mike

Get rid of that Behringer and get something else, like a RNP or something along those lines of equal quality. ;)

I have some bad news for you. The tube in the berri is little more than a night light/distortion generator.

It's not even lit -- That's a LED behind the tube. Believe me -- The tube you choose isn't going to make a bit of difference. It'll probably run without anything even in the socket.

FMR Audio: Cant really afford a $500 preamp. That's why I bought a used $110 Behringer.

Re Night Light: The behringer actually has 3 yellow/amber led's behind the tube to make it look like it's glowing. So it really is a night light.

Used one of the Lowery Organ 12ax7 tubes. They always sounded nice in my Ampeg VT120 guitar amp. But I'm still not happy with the sound coming out of the Behringer Ultragain Pro MIC 2200. I think it's just not as good of a preamp as I hoped for.

Went back to my mixing board and just used the preamp gain in that and Windows 7 +10db audio boost (recording voice for video narrations) and it sounds as good or better than with the Behringer.

Probably leave the Lowery tube in and just sell is as is. To much hassle to take it out. It would probably be a good preamp for guitar/bass, but not for voice.

Thanks for all your help

Mike

I've used one before -- If you bypass everything except for the gain knob, it didn't completely suck. No headroom to speak of (consider line level the limit, so you'll be looking for signals no hotter than around -18dB(FS)RMS with peaks running up to maybe -12dBFS) and fell apart if you kicked in the HPF...

If you bypass everything except for the gain knob, it didn't completely suck. No headroom to speak of (consider line level the limit, so you'll be looking for signals no hotter than around -18dB(FS)RMS with peaks running up to maybe -12dBFS) and fell apart if you kicked in the HPF...

WOW...I need a preamp like that...just to cover the less significant tracks.
Why waste one of my good preamps on insignificant tracks???

:D

;)

I'm afraid the lads are right. the tube is just for show. I had one as well and gave it to my nephew.

Last edited:
I have mine plugged into the upstairs hall outlet to guide my way to the toilet late at night... how ironic

I think you'll all on the right track. So after owning it for about 4 days.... does anyone need a night light? :-)

Thanks for all your input.

Mike

The light is just for show.
The tube is being used just like any other solid state/tube preamp.
By the way, other brands use LED lights too but only Behringer takes the bashing for it.

The tube is being used just like any other solid state/tube preamp.

Not all...it depends on the design and implementation.

I have a Sebatron 4-channel that is a tube front end and solid state back end.
It's a very nice preamp...one of my favorites, and it gets used on a lot of stuff.
It has 12AT7 tubes.

Sebatron VMP-4000e Microphone Preamplifier

Only downside of the VMP-4000e...is it has no LEDs to fake a nice warm tube glow. ;) :D

Never the less, the gossip on this thread is that the tube in the Behringer serves no purpose.
That is untrue and should be challenged.

Back