12 years later with practice - I would really appreciate your opinion

grose83

Hi

Like many others, I have always wanted to produce my own songs,
DAW wise and production wise it gets better,
BUT I´ve never been satisfied with my vocals.

So I`ve taken some song lessons from different teachers over
and tried to improve over a 12 years period, but I´m kinda giving up now.
Yep, you read right.....12 years on and off.....

I just dont think my voice are made for singing:wtf:
I dont think it sounds as good as needed to make my own songs
release them.

What do you think about my vocals and what can I do to improve them? :thumbs up:
(please... raw and honest opinion)

Soundcloud link
soundcloud.com/glen-viekaer-rose/sets/testing

Your help is greatly appreciated

I can not tell you anything about pitch. Because I have no idea. Your tone is fine. You sing with no confidence.

I can't sing. But, when I do my vocals, I do it with the confidence that a singer needs and the song demands.

It's the same as anything else in life. Give it your all.

I can not tell you anything about pitch. Because I have no idea. Your tone is fine. You sing with no confidence.

I can't sing. But, when I do my vocals, I do it with the confidence that a singer needs and the song demands.

It's the same as anything else in life. Give it your all.

Okay interesting.... Ill Think About that

Well......your pitch wanders quite often. Sometimes not much and sometimes quite a bit. Your delivery is from your throat and I'll guess that you're playing and singing at the same time.......which can cause your head and throat to be in a strained and unnatural position.......as opposed to singing without your guitar. I'm not sure what your vocal coaches have told you....and perhaps you sing better for them.....maybe without your guitar.

As I almost ALWAYS say to those who post wondering if their vocals are ok for pro use........I ask them........what do YOU think about your own voice? It's astonishing to realize how many singers are off key and pitch and do not "hear" it in their recordings. If they can't hear it......how can they correct it?

Not saying you can't improve........and certainly not telling you to give up........but unless you can hear what others do........and not your friends or family who love you.......you might continue to struggle. So....can you hear anything wrong with your vocals?

Hi mickster .

I agree with you, my pitch Goes false Sometime.
I Think that my tone sounds like a "little a child" Voice.... my tone just dosent sound good.

Youre right that i Play the guitar while sining on these songs, and perhabs it would help not to strain my thoat and not Play guitar at the same time..

All in all, i Think my problem is my tone. But dont Know what to do, to sound better. I can always Work on my pitch

To be honest......I don't agree. Your tone is not the main problem......it's workable. A little EQ might make you like your voice more.....but it is ok to use for lots of songs. Your pitch wandering is what you need to correct. It takes a little practice to learn how to sing and play well..........but that may not be the core issue here. If you can hear when your guitar is out of tune......you should be able to hear when your singing is off pitch. Has your coach told you about any pitch problems? Sing along to a a prerecorded guitar track of yours and record it. If your pitch is still off as often.......you may have a tough problem.

Now....remember.......this is only my opinion based on some experience. I certainly could be way off.

I agree with you on the pitch issue. My vocal coach and I did a bit pitch training on thw piano.

I got Some apps for my phone with pitch training..... ill give it a try.

I'll most certainly try a prerecorded instrument track and lay vocals on it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ya know,,, one of the most used and heard and not heard thing is double vocals. Toughest thing as well, in my opinion.
Try doubling yourself. You'll hear where you need attention or a change of notes. You can experiment with push, and then falseto. Take breaks, and try to get the best takes. Even if it's one line or word at a time.
YA know, I bet that song One sung an octave lower may sound country, lol... (I'm not really into country myself, but I've played it here and there lol)

By the time your tired of that learning process, you'll be stronger on the song, not just vocally. Oh, and it will help you get used to hearing your voice. I hate mine, lol, but I can listen to it objectively.
Do not get discouraged learning your voice. Have fun with it, for your self. No time like right now !!!
Sammy Hagar says something about using RICE method... something about getting rest and ice and every thing from drinking one drink, lol... Mas' Tequila !!!

Your voice is ok
Some parts you just sound constricted to me...
Like your throat is closing up
And... like theres not enough air behind your voice
Just a little off a few other spots
Idk
My two cents
Do you do any vocal exercises or warm ups, or key exercises?

Tip taken
Thx man ?

---------- Update ----------

Ya know,,, one of the most used and heard and not heard thing is double vocals. Toughest thing as well, in my opinion.
Try doubling yourself. You'll hear where you need attention or a change of notes. You can experiment with push, and then falseto. Take breaks, and try to get the best takes. Even if it's one line or word at a time.
YA know, I bet that song One sung an octave lower may sound country, lol... (I'm not really into country myself, but I've played it here and there lol)

By the time your tired of that learning process, you'll be stronger on the song, not just vocally. Oh, and it will help you get used to hearing your voice. I hate mine, lol, but I can listen to it objectively.
Do not get discouraged learning your voice. Have fun with it, for your self. No time like right now !!!
Sammy Hagar says something about using RICE method... something about getting rest and ice and every thing from drinking one drink, lol... Mas' Tequila !!!

Tip taken
Thx man ?

So I`ve taken some song lessons from different teachers over
and tried to improve over a 12 years period, but I´m kinda giving up now.
Yep, you read right.....12 years on and off.....

I just dont think my voice are made for singing:wtf:
I dont think it sounds as good as needed to make my own songs
release them.

What do you think about my vocals and what can I do to improve them? :thumbs up:
(please... raw and honest opinion)

I agree that your vocals aren't where you need them to be to make music to release. When you say 12 years "on and off," how often did you practice each week? Did you do specific exercises for at least some hours a week?

The song you sang strikes me as what I think of as "talk singing"--it sounds like a person sort of trying to talk through the melody instead of sing through it. When I first took skiing lessons, I was told that just putting on skis and going down a hill is not skiing. Skiing requires carving and s-turns and stuff like that. In the same way, singing requires something different than talking. I'm not sure how to describe exactly what that is, but I guess part of it is sustaining a note longer and in a more supported way. Often it includes producing a good vibrato, too (though not always). You're getting the sounds out with a more constricting seeming approach and that seems incompatible with singing. You're also off pitch on notes, and that would need to be corrected.

So I'm not sure what to suggest. I'd be curious what you'd sound like in a lesson situation, doing not a little acoustic pop song like this but scales and more traditional exercises, something that can open up your tone more, let you sing with your full chest, try some vibrato in there, etc. How much have you done that?

Singing is often really hard. It's a demanding thing, so don't count yourself out unless you're sure you've put in the time and proper practice.

Soundcloud link
soundcloud.com/glen-viekaer-rose/sets/testing

Your help is greatly appreciated

I went to the link, but they wanted to install cookies, track me, and direct adverts at me, so I declined.
You could post something here.

I'd not worry, he never logged in again after sept 20 - so he's probably doing something else. Oddly - soundcloud worked fine for me - no strange requests, but I am registered with them?

Back