12-string miking, mixing and eq'ing

asulger

About a month ago you folks (mshilarious, punkin, masteringhouse, and getgo) gave me some suggestions on recording my wonderful old gibson 12-string. I listened to you and here's a 1 minute snippet of the result. Per suggestions, I removed the pickup, got a matched set of mics, put them off the tail (most listeners seemed to think it sounded a bit better there). The only change I made was to use ORTF rather than x-y.

It sounds waay better. Sometimes I think it sounds great the way it is, other times it sounds 'wrong' somehow. I don't know - too 'tubby', too clangy - hard to pinpoint. So I'm back for more suggestions, please.
Here's a 1 minute sample:
1 minute 320K Sound clip
Thanks,
Art

Last edited:
I might try a touch of compression, and a small dip in the mids. Try sweeping a parametric between 400-800 Hz cutting around 2 db with a Q of an octave and see if it gets rid of the slight "boxiness" I seem to be hearing.

Overall though muchly improved!

Sounds pro, so I guess you won't be posting on "home recording" anymore :)

Best,
Tom

First off do whatever Tom says, he's a pro :)

Yeah that does sound nice. You know I worried about ORTF when I read that because with a close source it can sound a little phasy. But I liked it. I think you could go even wider.

Gee at this point it's just fine tuning. What is the reverb? It seemed kind of plain. Maybe some 12-15kHz too (I like a sparkly 12-string), and watch the volume spikes, like the glissando at 0:19. It was better at 0:37. It helped to cut a little 8kHz there, compression might be better, but I don't have one on the desk PC.

Very nice. You're through to Hollywood! (sorry AI4 started tonight)

You folks give good advice which I will take seriously.
Thanks for listening. Someday I hope to contribute even a tenth of what you do.
Art

Back