1176 DIY compressor help

hydroflare

I should also have mentioned that there is quite a bit about the DIY clone 1176 compressor, based on the Mnats Rev J boards, at my site too. It has been helping people on other forums for many years now and hopefully is of some help to constructors here.

Look under the projects menu at http://www.axtsystems.com/, or click from the front page to find loads of construction, measurement, calibration and performance details.

- Geoff

Last edited:
I've stopped by your web site, and the information you've made available is impressive and well set out.

I have a pair of Mnats Rev J boards and am collecting components at a leisurely pace.

I bought a 2 channel enclosure from one of the enterprising chaps over at GroupDIY.

I'll definitely be back at your 1176 pages come build time!

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul.
Good luck with the build. Are you using the on-board power supplies or building a separate PSU for them?

Hi Geoff,

My Rev J boards were each supplied with a separate PSB board, which can optionally be built instead of the on-board supply.

One PSU board provides sufficient power for 2 x 1176 boards, so that is what I will use. It looks like a fairly standard LM317/337 implementation.

Paul

Yes, one PSU is adequate for two 1176 board, there is almost no current drawn from the -10V rail as it is used to bias the FETs. I used a separate PSU (psu-8 module on my site) which also added another rail for relays and lights, separately from the +30V rail.

- Geoff

I confess that I've put the 1176 on the back burner for a while.

I'm working up for another compressor project, which will combine the JLM Audio Baby Animal Dual (BAD) preamp with the JLM MAC opto compressor, 2 channels in a 2RU case. I think this will be fun to build and use. The BAD circuit has two amplification stages, so I am using a Jensen 990 opamp (from Hairball Audio) for the first stage, and JLM 99V for the second. The MAC optocompressor inserts between the two amplification stages, and will be relay defeatable. I have Carnhill transformers for input and output. Overall gain could be very high, but I will probably aim for about 78dB or so including the step up from the transformers.

Paul

Back