100 MB zip disks

druid

I have very limited hard drive space (for now anyway while I save up dough) is it possible to use 100 MB zip disks or CDRs/CDRWa to store my projects (eight tracks of music) and then mix down to a CDR? Do I just need to face reality and shell out the money now for another hard drive? I use a PC based recording system but I know that one of the Roland portable units uses 100MB zip disks as a means of storing data. I wanted to know if I could do the same.

Well you can, but then you can't even fit 3 minutes of uncompressed 8 track music at 44.1KHz/16 bit on one of those disks, and they run way too slow and cost way too much.
A CDRW is faster, but still pretty slow; it has 6.5x more space though.

if you really cant afford another hard drive , ( and you already own a cd-rw )i think a cd rw is a good way to go.. what you can do is zip up all the files related to that project , burn them to a cd - rw , delete them from your hard drive , and then just unzip the file on your cd - rw when you wish to work with that project again. this could save a good amount of space if you work on a couple different projects at once . but if you dont already have a cd rw than spend the money on another hard drive.. even if its a small one , every gig counts...
- eddie -

Back