10" speaker for heavy guitars?

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
Does anyone use an amp with a 10" or smaller speaker for metal or metalcore (or something else with heavy guitars in that fashion)? I don't want to keep trying things with my amp if it's not possible.

My main amp that I use for recording has 3 10" speakers, and it does fine with the heavy stuff, as far as I can tell. Although I guess I've never really used 12-ers, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

I love the sound of 10 inch speakers, I'm making another cab for 2x10 Webers. I'm not sure why they dont sell more, but it seems like most of what you see for sale new is 12 inch stuff. I suppose if great volume is the primary concern, then bigger speakers are in order.......but I'm thinking the 10's are better for conjuring up tones.....

A 12" speaker will have a deeper bass, but I think the cabinet having a closed back is more important than the difference between a 10" and a 12" for getting a tight enough bass in your guitar tone for metal. Having said that I still wouldn't use anything smaller than a 10", not that I've tried it, but unless someone could really prove me wrong that any smaller of a speaker could get good bass at higher volumes I'm certainly not willing to try that one myself. So a 10" will be fine, I've never played my amp through a 12" speaker, but it sounds awesome for metal through the 10", maybe a 12 would be a bit better, but you're certainly not suffering with 10" speakers.

Would putting a peice of, say, plywood over the back of my open cab have any negative side effects?

Depending on your amp, some amps have open backs to allow more air circulation to keep transformers cooler and to disipate heat from tubes. Your best bet is to leave the amp as is and run an extension cab with a closed back.

My amp doesn't have a speaker out. It seems like I'm in the market for a new amp. Those Traynor tube amps are tempting.

Back