10 inputs soundcard

flapo1

Hi everybody

I am considering of buying a 10 channel soundcard like the Delta 1010, but I have some questions regarding it.

Can my computer handle recording for example a drumkit (6-8 mics) onto separate tracks? Its an AMD k62 400mhz 30Gb HD (5800 RPM), 256 MB RAM

Do I need a huge mixer with 8 sub outputs? I've seen in some post over here that I can use the "inserts" to patch audio. I have a Spirit Folio F1 and it does have inserts but I have no idea how to use them. Are they ins or outs? If they are outs, Are they direct or post-eq and effects?

Finally: Can I record 4 simultaneous tracks with the two soundcards I have right now? They are a SB Live and a Ensoniq Audio PCI

Sorry about my total lack of knowledge, but that's why we are here, aren't we?

SALUDOS AMIGOS ;)

I think you'd have timing issues trying to record 4 tracks with the 2 soundcards you mentioned.

No need to send the 8 drum channels to their own subgroup on a board the size of Manhattan! That Folio will work just fine. Your K6 system should have no problem handling 8 channels of (w/ no S/W realtime effects) recording provided that HD will keep up. And given the rest of the specs I see little reason it wouldn't. It might support some S/W effects, but there's no guarantee without actually trying it.
Get the Echo Reporter and find out.
Yeah- you can use the effects channel inserts on the mono channels as direct outs. On your mixer the SEND side of the TRS connector is the TIP. This signal will be after the high-pass filter but before the EQ.

What? Don't have a manual? :)

http://www.soundcraft.com/pdf/user guides/spirit_f1_multi_user_guide.pdf

Thanx

Thank you for your reply!

Well, then I guess I'll start saving for that 1010 ... and for a C1 mike... and for some decent monitors... and for some decent headphones... ;)

Well, I guess we are all "gear junkies"....

And by the way, I do have the manual for the spirit F1, but It doesn't explain how inserts work... I'll check the one you posted, because my manual is multi-languaje and is very, very small.

You learn something every day, no doubt about it.

:D

I would be inclined to believe you may run into some problems recording 8 tracks at a time with a K6-2 400mhz and a 5800rpm hard drive, especially if you only haveone drive...I think you will have to do some serious system optimization to pull that off.....

Id be more comfortable with a faster Celeron and a separate 7200rpm hard drive.....

disclaimer: I have never tried to record 8 tracks with the system in question, so my opinions can be wrong...they are based on trying to record with an AMDK6 system a few years ago.....

>I would be inclined to believe you may run into some problems recording 8 tracks at a time with a K6-2 400mhz and a 5800rpm >hard drive, especially if you only haveone drive...I think you will have to do some serious system optimization to pull that off.....

That's good enough reason to run the Echo Reporter. :rolleyes:
But by the time PC drives of 30GB were commonplace, the higher density platters were already in use in 5400 RPM drives, giving them similar performace to older 7200 RPM drives, like mine.

>I'll check the one you posted,
The .pdf link IS a multi-language pamphlet. Probably exactly what it came with....

Thanks again

Where can I download the Echo reporter?
I forgot.:o

BTW, is it accurate? Once I tested my actual computer (before all information on my HD was erased) with it and it said that I could only record 2 tracks (which I guess could mean only 1 stereo track) :(

Gidge: I do have 2 HD, but I don't think they are well configured, when I click in the system icon they appear to have a conflict. Problem is I can't describe it because my Windows version is in spanish, anyway I'll try to translate it as soon as I get to my house.

Don't worry about disclaimers, I can't sue you, I'm in Mexico!

GRACIAS AMIGOS;)

that 2 track limitation is of your soundcard (only a stereo input)...the system may be capable of more but you wont be able to tell from the Echo Reporter until you put in the soundcard....maybe if you run it and give the results we may be able to guess-timate from the results.....

http://www.west.net/~event/download.html

Back