1' of Broadband Absorption?

APP

Hey folks,

I have a huge old plyboard shelf (8' H X 2.5' W x 1' D) that I'm about ready to throw out, but I'm thinking that it might make a nice broadband absorber to put along the length of my mix room, up against one wall. I want to stuff it with something and wrap the whole thing in material, and from what I understand, with a depth of 12", a less dense fiberglass would be better to trap the lower frequencies. Something like the pink stuff. I would also drill huge holes in the sides to increase surface area. Can anyone confirm for me this depth / density / absorption relationship? Or more simply, what would be my best filler for such depth (100-300Hz absorption)?

Also, would leaving the 2 inner shelves attached to the frame negatively affect the performance of this beast in any way?

thanks in advance,
APP

I'm thinking that it might make a nice broadband absorber to put along the length of my mix room, up against one wall.

You'll do much better putting that in front of the rear wall behind you.

from what I understand, with a depth of 12", a less dense fiberglass would be better to trap the lower frequencies. Something like the pink stuff.

Yes.

would leaving the 2 inner shelves attached to the frame negatively affect the performance of this beast in any way?

Probably not, that's fine.

--Ethan

Back