1 khz test tone?

Eric54

I was reading about a pre amp and it mentions something about a 1khz test tone. What do you use to do this kind of test? How does it work?

Here is the part of the article......

I achieved excellent results using the 207 in a variety of studio applications. Before I started, I followed the advice of Aphex and ran a 1 kHz tone through the 207 and increased the gain control until the output headroom meter read zero. I ran the output of the 207 into the input of my iZ RADAR multitrack hard disk recorder and used a small screwdriver to set the output trim on the 207 to match the maximum input level on my RADAR. From that point on, I was able to record particularly hot signals into the RADAR without being concerned with nasty digital clipping. In normal use, the limiter is virtually inaudible so unless you are pushing the point of excessive limiting it will not color the sound. The MicLim feature can always be turned off as well. Though, in every instance, I preferred the end result with the limiter on.

You use them to test a signal path or like they did in the article you use them to calibrate input/output levels. Some mixers have built in tone generators and you can get stand alone ones that look like a small mic with an XLR jack.

Calibration..

thanks!

I have another question. Is it best to calibrate a mixer to what you are recording to before you record? If so how do you do this? Do you calibrate by using the Faders and Gain?

You calibrate when you want to make sure that unity or 0 on one device is the same as the other. Most consumer gear doesn't even really give you this ability so it depends on what you are using.

At the simplest it would be running the tone through your preamp/mixer with the faders set to unity and adjusting the record level on your soundcard/recorder so that both units show 0db on the meters.

It really depends on your gear and what you're doing.

Back