1:48 Shortest tune to date!

Sam- Glad you liked it. Ya know, maybe it would be cool to open a CD with this, and from there go into "Run For Your Life" or something like that as track two.

Guernica- "dark magician feel" - no doubt eh? I picture like a Jack Skelton character ("Nightmare Before Christmas") doing the vocal and some ghouls playing instruments. I may elaborate on the instruments some time. Like have them kinda fade in and out in the back ground.... Thanks dude!

DavidK- Thanks man...Broadway. I've seen 3- I liked them all...well, Les Miserables wasn't as good as I hoped but oh well. I'm going to ask you some day, maybe soon, to do some violin for me. Hopefully you will say yes.

scottboyher- Very short for me. I'm musically long winded.
:)

Bob A. Vader- Thanks.

mbuster- Go away and don't come back.

Kidding- Sure, let me know when you're ready and you can send me a CD with the project bundles. (I'll explain how if you're still learning Sonar). I'm betting we can do a better job this time around ;)

erichenryus - I think listening to Dobro's stuff made me want to keep this one dry. I usually go for a bigger sound, but it's often out of habit. Thanks brotha.

Crankyone - goblinish indeed. I've definitely got a few of those Tim Burton type of characters living in my head. They're good guys though, really.
:D

beezoboy - I like Primus. I don't think, other than the use of dissonance, this sounds much like Primus, but that's cool. Thanks! If only I could play bass like Les does. As for drinking...well. Pot's safer. :)

Wow, This site will always surprise you. Very cool, very different, very.................................................theatrical???

All the good words were taken!

Joe

I like your "goofy" instruments idea. I can hear a discordant caliope in there. Kinda creepy, like "clowns gone bad".

Twist

No shit. This is the kind of stuff that goes through your head at work? You make me feel like MaryfuckingPoppins.

yep. what twist said. :)

Listen to any Tom Waits? I could hear some bone-machineish instrumentation/sound in there.

the mix is cool for me, can't say anything about it; the tune sounds interesting, like taken from one of Disneys cartoons when the bad cruel caracter is singing!
lol

reminded me of something that Stix might have done live. in a lyrical scense you tore the song up... you are a creative pelican ... nice work man!

SLuiCe said:

erichenryus - I think listening to Dobro's stuff made me want to keep this one dry. I usually go for a bigger sound, but it's often out of habit. Thanks brotha.

i know it's a selfish request (i'm not capable of a selfless request) but I want to hear more stuff like this from you.

Here's why:
1. this is a very intimate sound you have going on. your songs always have so much passion in the vocal delivery and this brings it up another notch.
2. oddly enough, i enjoy the lack of percussion.
3. the vocal mix on this rules! it's actually what i'm aiming for in my own recordings. maybe with a touch less air.
4. your two strengths in my opinion are your unique vocal style and your pristine guitar sound/playing. both of which are on display in this.

now the only thing i'd request different from you is maybe work on your melodic development a bit. man that's a big request from me cause my melodies are always so simple but i don't know why but sometimes your melodies get a little too odd and lack a certain resolution that my western ear is wanting. it's hard for me to describe cause i really like your melodies for the most part but it's like there are one or two notes not right in a lineup sometimes.

i know this is the mixing clinic and not the songwriting clinic but i can't help myself. maybe i should move over to the songwriting clinic.

peace.

James HE said:
Listen to any Tom Waits? I could hear some bone-machineish instrumentation/sound in there.

oh hell ya. It is always a strong resistance on my part to not just do a whole cover album of The Black Rider. I am of course a big fan of Bone Machine as well. James, if you're a Waits fan, listen to my tune "Feathers And Bones." It carries a lot of the moods from Rider, and I'm going to do some more instrumentation in that one as well. Alright you got me all excited...
Thanks.

Smokepole - thanks for the compliment! Cheers!

Twist - Nobody has ever in my 28 years told me I make them feel like Maryfuckingpoppings. Thank you man. Only you know the real me. ;)

James HE- Oh wait, I spoke to you already. Well thanks again man!

groovejunkie- thanks man, I get a similar vibe from it.

JMarcomb - Nobody has ever in my 28 years called me a pelican. Thank you man. Only you know the real me. ;)

Hey Eric- thank you very very much for the detailed response. Very thoughtful.

I'm digging what you're saying on the melodies. The majority of what you've heard from me was written a long time ago but I never had a good method of recording it until a little over a year ago. So by recording old songs (and a few new ones as they come to me) in conjunction with reading this forum I've learned a lot about recording, thus saving the new material from having to be re-recorded later. Hopefully.
So you see I have a master plan, and it's coming together, and soon the universe will be under my power and one day we will all be able to record straight from one mind to another.
Directly.

wow.

In response to your excellent request, absolutely. I hope not too many of them are bad, but I am always recording melodies on a mini. And sometimes I use them in the wrong situations in a rush to get something down.

When I finished this little thingy I said to my girlfriend, "I love my mics [condensor mics in general]. I love how they pick up every little detail and force you to focus so heavily."

Alright, thanks Eric.

Boy am I long winded tonight.

VERY Theatrical.... ...ready for broadway:D ...very cool man.

.....being sung by the "Dark Magician" character in the play...:)

.....I get a Primus feel as well, ...from a bass standpoint.
You could develop this further... ........This is worthy of 5 min. easy. Great stuff man!
gw/5*****

I am really glad I finally broke down and got a broadband connection so I can finally listen to this stuff.

This is a really cool little piece. Kind of reminds me of a Stephen Sondheim tune a little bit.

Keep it up! More! More!

Peace!!!!!

Nice work sluice. I really dig the song! Way way way too dry though. Definately decent guitar playing and great vocal work (as usual).

Slackmaster 2000

I haven't read the posts preceding this one.

Okay, the bass, drums, backup vocals, synths, and lead ALL need to come up. The mix is being totally dominated by the vocal and the acoustic guitar. The "melody" is non-existent...I have no idea what the song is about, so I'll assume it says what you want it to say.

The preceding was brought to you by the "mixmkr" school of mix critiqueing.

Lemme' try my approach before I leave. Like I said, I havent' read anything, so I don't know if this is something you're working on, or if it's a finished product, but it could work as the latter, I think, with a lot of your other stuff...like as a "transition" track or something...kinda' like 1/2 of "The Wall"...only musically different, obviously. I'd call it "Quelude Interlude." I think you're talented enough to get away with just about anything, and I've never been able to get a vocal track or an acoustic track to sound this good (even if you think they suck here), so I'll just gush and say "GREAT JOB!"

[edit] and to PROVE I didn't read the thread, lol...I just posted this in your "Covenant " one by mistake

twist said:
I like your "goofy" instruments idea. I can hear a discordant caliope in there. Kinda creepy, like "clowns gone bad".

Twist

"clowns gone bad" you must of lost your mind to talk this way..haha. You're a fucking classic SLuiCe! I loved this, but i need a drink of water...this is soooo dry:D . Loved it man.

haha...fun thread. :)

Thanks a lot guys.

Alright, the verdict is in. I'm putting on my Danny Elfman hat and I'll probably have a fully produced version by next week...

At which point most of you who heard this will say "sounds good SLuiCe, but the first version just had something better." ;) Kidding.

Guernica - I'm wondering if Les writes his riffs the way I did this one. It was 1993 and I was unemployed, watching some stupid 80's movie and my fingers were just kinda dancing around on the guitar neck. By time I had looked down, the riff had written itself. Which set the mood for the whacky lyrics about my rather peculiar circle of friends at the time, on whose couch I was sitting. Man the early 90's were a weird time. :)
Thanks again Mike.

strmkr - Broadband is sort of life-changing. :) Thanks for listening. Does your name mean "starmaker?" Just curious...it reads like a license plate so I'm making a game of it.

Fragmaster2000 - Hey man, you, Sam, Emeric, and I gotta have a Quake fest again soon. I'm in a new place now with great internet speed, so PM me or something. Oh and the tune, yes, very dry. Thanks man. Oh one more thing, I'll Pm ya just in case you don't check this. But I'll be in your neighborhood in July. Let's have a beer at the Hauf.

W.I.S.C. - you mean the herpes?

Chris - Thanks as always. I'm digging what you're saying about the production and it's what I'm thinking too. If I can get the production right, it maybe even work as a whacky little mood-setting opener on a CD later. What do you think?

David - Did you just call me an old car? :) Thanks brothah, means a lot to me. Drink up.

I like it too. Very interesting as usual. I like your stuff because it's different. And it's always recorded and mixed well. Keep writing and posting.

Back