1/4 inch 8 track heads?

ReelFostex!

I have a question...did teac or tascam make the 1/4 inch 8 track heads for fostex 8 tracks. Also did they make the 1/2 inch 16 track heads for the B-16,E-16,G-16...the reason I ask is because they are no longer being made, and the tascam 338 takes a 1/4 8 track head, not being made anymore. Is it that techical a process to manufacture multitrack recording heads?...it seems that if you could make them, there would be the demand...

Actually, JRF might well be able to supply compatible replacements, but I doubt you're going to like the price. Definitely get it reconditioned first if you can.

Teac has replacement 1/2" 16 track heads for the time being, and I think JRF Magnetics does too. I checked with him about 6mos ago or so on replacement 1/4" 8 track heads (fostex) and he indicated not available. I don't know anything about the mfg process, hopefully someone else can chime in.

I don't know why they aren't avail after market, unless it is a supply/demand issue. Also, I'd imagine the tolerances are so close that one 1/4" 8 track is going to be pretty much the same as the next, configuration wise. Again, others will know more, but e.g. I'd assume you could play back on a Fostex R8 tapes made on a Tascam 388.

Take a look at the JRF site. I think you can relap more than once as long as you don't have the gap opening up. I would hazard to guess that at some point narrow gauge heads will come available. I can't imagine the manufacturing is *that* much more difficult. Somebody feel free to correct me. Although who knows what kind of quality you'd get these days.

Strictly the A8/R8 heads are the same track density as cassette heads. However, I imagine you'd have a much lower yield as there are four times as many elements.

Does this mean that - in theory - you can put a head from manufacturer A into a deck from manufacturer B? Or am I completely wrong? I was expecting different 'values' (don't know the exact words in English) for each brand/type.

Joeri

Does this mean that - in theory - you can put a head from manufacturer A into a deck from manufacturer B? Or am I completely wrong? I was expecting different 'values' (don't know the exact words in English) for each brand/type.

I'd guess *in theory* that shouldn't be a problem, but you might need to do some minor machining and alignment, not something I'd be able to do in my basement, and electronic calibration too.

AFAIK there are only the Tascam 388 and the Fostex series machines (A8/80/R8/E8) that are 1/4" 8 track, I don't know how much different the heads would be, as I don't have a 388 head to compare to. I do know that the A8/80 use the same head. (Same part number) I'd guess the R8 does as well. FWIW, Tascam was able to squeeze 8 tracks on a 1/8" head, so I can't imagine 20 years on that it would be that hard to mfg new narrow gauge heads.

Back