002 and Outboard Effects...

coolwhip

libertarian power.
I'm considering purchasing a digi 002, but I have a question. How do you guys run your racks with something like the 002? Should I just get a patchbay and use the various outputs/inputs of the 002 to access my pres, compression, and reverb?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

a patchbay would make things easier

when you want to send stuff out to timebased effects processors, create an aux send in Pro Tools and set it's output accordingly.
For dynamic based processors, use the insert I/Os in Pro Tools and patch the output.

coolwhip said:
I'm considering purchasing a digi 002, but I have a question. How do you guys run your racks with something like the 002? Should I just get a patchbay and use the various outputs/inputs of the 002 to access my pres, compression, and reverb?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

Are you getting the 002 rack, or the mixer version?
A patchbay can definetly make things easier, but isn't necessary.
Basically you run your mic pres into the 002 via the line ins.
Dynamic processing usually gets run via inserts (which it looks like the 002 doesn't have). Time-based processing usually gets set up via aux sends/returns.
Part of it depends on if you want to use these processors for tracking, mixing, or both.

But to answer you question, yes, just use the various I/O on the 002.

Benny's always one step (or in this case 2 minutes) ahead. Looks like you just beat me out. :)

RAK said:
Dynamic processing usually gets run via inserts (which it looks like the 002 doesn't have).

Instead of using inserts, I can just rewire using the patchbay after laying down the tracks, and then run the tracks through, for example, my reverb unit?

Thanks for all of the help, guys :)

coolwhip said:
Instead of using inserts, I can just rewire using the patchbay after laying down the tracks, and then run the tracks through, for example, my reverb unit?

Thanks for all of the help, guys :)

Reverb is a type of time-based processing. You probably don't want to use verb during tracking anyway. The standard way would be to bus your dry signal in PT to another pair or outputs, which send to the verb unit (or a patchbay) and then return to a new pair of inputs on the 002. That way you mix the two signals together. That's the socially acceptable practice anyway.

A patchbay would make things easier to patch in and out different effects.

A compressor is a dynamic processor,
A EQ is a spectral processor.

RAK said:
A patchbay would make things easier to patch in and out different effects.

exactly, but it's not essential. A Patch bay just makes it easier for you to wire gear so you're not constantly crawling behind the units.

Dynamic processing usually gets run via inserts (which it looks like the 002 doesn't have).

LE and the 002 support hardware inserts, it's just labeled on the 002. Use the Insert section in the Mix Window to assign an I/O. Then patch the output of that channel to an dynamic processor, then patch it back into the same numbered input and it will return to the same point on the track that it left

bennychico11 said:
exactly, but it's not essential. A Patch bay just makes it easier for you to wire gear so you're not constantly crawling behind the units.

Agreed, that's what I said in my first post.

LE and the 002 support hardware inserts, it's just labeled on the 002. Use the Insert section in the Mix Window to assign an I/O. Then patch the output of that channel to an dynamic processor, then patch it back into the same numbered input and it will return to the same point on the track that it left

It's been a while since I've used PT with any regularity. I forgot about the Insert section on the Mix Window.

Cool, that all makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the help!

I'll probably end up just wiring a patchbay myself; I helped a friend do it once. Just a lot of soldering, and the occasional burned finger :p

the 002 is a coolio unit.

i love it. i wouldnt trade it for anything, except an HD system of course..

PT is really great too once you get going with it. it's so powerful if you can get familiar enough with it. beats having to buy separate software and then worrying about getting hardware and software to integrate! protools just works. the only thing i've ever had to manually change was the ADAT clock source.... no playing in setup windows, selecting outputs and inputs and blah blah blah.

oh btw, Mac or PC? just curious.

I've actually been using M-Powered for somewhere around a year now, and I've really enjoyed it. The transition should be smooth to LE, as the differences between the two are virtually nil.

Back