“1960s Songwriter Demo” Album

lonewhitefly

Been forever, but I’ve just finished up my first set of recordings in a few years.

The album is a minimalist exercise called Dandelions and is slated for release on cassette and download June 29:

This is an all analog recording, cut on a mid-‘60s Ampex 602 suitcase recorder, NOS Scotch tape, and a Shure Vocal Master.

The first promo clip is out now:

Let me know what you think!

-Donny

Great stuff! I really love the tone of the acoustic. What mic did you use? What kind of guitar?

The Shure Vocal Master ... is that the old PA head?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Beagle-

I used a few different guitars and mics for the record as it was experimental- for this one, it was a ‘67 Guild D44 and an old AKG D202 mic.

Guitar and vocal were miked together w/ the AKG. Yep, the Shure Vocal Master PA/mixer. It’s a real sleeper and has great spring reverb, probably the best I’ve heard. I used the EQ on it too.

Nice! I like this one, too. Interesting key changes and form.

I assume the Ampex 602 is a mono recorder, so these are all live performances with no overdubs, yes?

Oh, nice! I was going to ask what you were doing for reverb, but it looks like the Shure Vocal Master has a spring reverb in it.

Been forever, but I’ve just finished up my first set of recordings in a few years.

The album is a minimalist exercise called Dandelions and is slated for release on cassette and download June 29:

This is an all analog recording, cut on a mid-‘60s Ampex 602 suitcase recorder, NOS Scotch tape, and a Shure Vocal Master.

The first promo clip is out now:

Let me know what you think!

-Donny

You can't tell it was done with a Shure VocalMaster. Guitars got a nice full sound - and vocals are captured - although it sounds like a first take

Back