¿How to mix pan a Bandoneon/Guitar Duet? ¿Ideas for miking?

Gustavo Eiriz

Hi Guys, since I am planning to record an album the next year I thought you might give me some advice about mixing it...

In the video/demo that I recorded at home, I panned it this way: Bandoneon each hand panned at 60 percent and (rode nt1000 and Nt-1A for each hand), guitar at the center of the mix recorded in mono (audio techinica atm-350.. not the best but the result wasn`t bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix28xIF-8hA&feature=youtu.be

¿Should you record the guitar with two X/Y mics? ¿Isolated?
If you have a live room and a vocal booth... ¿where should i record the guitar?
¿LDC or SDC? I prefer not to colour very much the sound in the record, since i think if you need a colour then you can Eq it...

Thank You, And i Hope the thread is interesting to you

Why not pan the two instruments equally left and right? It sounds really goofy to me to hear half the accordion on one side of the guitar and half the accordion on the other side of the guitar. If you pan the accordion right, you can separate the left and right hands to get some spread. If you had recorded the guitar with two mics, you could have done the same with the guitar on the left. But you could take that one guitar track and put some delay on it, pan it left, and you'll get some spread and size on the guitar.

Nice performance.

Why not pan the two instruments equally left and right? It sounds really goofy to me to hear half the accordion on one side of the guitar and half the accordion on the other side of the guitar. If you pan the accordion right, you can separate the left and right hands to get some spread. If you had recorded the guitar with two mics, you could have done the same with the guitar on the left. But you could take that one guitar track and put some delay on it, pan it left, and you'll get some spread and size on the guitar.

Nice performance.

Thank you for your feedback, it`s a nice Idea that i will try..

Back