Those were the days

But man, you could put the entire Library of Congress on a pair of them... or so they said at the time.

Did anyone see this recent article about some old stuff being decommissioned? A Netflix server from 2013 was recently sold off. Here's what it contained:

SuperMicro motherboard, an Intel Xeon CPU (E5 2650L v2), 64GB of DDR3 RAM, 36 7.2TB Western Digital hard disks (7,200 RPM), six 500GB Micron SSDs, a pair of 750-Watt power supplies, and one quad-port 10-gigabit Ethernet NIC card. In total, the server contains "262TB of raw storage,"

Netflix Cache Server

I never had a rack or cabinet for my systems. I would usually have a table or cabinet - long and slender like a dining room buffet or server - along one wall and place the amp, tuner and turntable atop that. When I added a multi-band EQ, I'd slip that under the tuner. Any tape or disc units went below.

As I lived mostly in the suburbs, there were some retail stores in strip malls and large malls which catered to the audiophile home stereo consumer. High-end stuff I couldn't afford. Then came Circuit City - which is where I bought my first real home component system. Since I'm no longer into that stuff, I haven't kept track of where home stereo component retailers might be located. Seems they're mostly, if not all, located online only - no brick & mortar. I've been familiar with Crutchfield for many years and would probably start browsing gear on their site, just to see what's out there these days.

I was told about a hi-fi shop about 5 miles away.
I had a good look at their website. The conclusion was they sold very expensive modern trendy shaped speakers, aimed
at people who want to show off how much money they have to waste.
There was a Sony shop I visited in town a few years back. Today they're gone.

When I was around 10 years of age, the family took a trip by car from Maryland to the Midwest. I was alone in the back seat the whole way. Early on we stopped at a rest stop for food and gas where I got to run loose in one of the country's ubiquitous souvenir shoppes. There was something for everyone in those places, but what I was attracted to were those colorfully designed window stickers, each representing a different state. Next was a little keychain puzzle that fascinated me - so I bought that puzzle along with a few stickers for the car.

That puzzle kept me occupied from Pennsylvania all the way to Iowa. I stumbled upon a system for solving the puzzle no matter how much it had been scrambled. Once I had that, I kept repeating it just to see if I could beat my previous time. I got to where I could do it in a matter of 5 or so minutes - it was kind of like todays whiz-bangers doing their Rubik's Cubes in less than a minute.

After getting home from that trip I put that puzzle away in a drawer and never took it out again. I'm sure if I were to pick one up today it would take me forever to rediscover the system of quick-solving I discovered as a kid.

puzzle.jpg

When I was around 10 years of age, the family took a trip by car from Maryland to the Midwest. I was alone in the back seat the whole way. Early on we stopped at a rest stop for food and gas where I got to run loose in one of the country's ubiquitous souvenir shoppes. There was something for everyone in those places, but what I was attracted to were those colorfully designed window stickers, each representing a different state. Next was a little keychain puzzle that fascinated me - so I bought that puzzle along with a few stickers for the car.

That puzzle kept me occupied from Pennsylvania all the way to Iowa. I stumbled upon a system for solving the puzzle no matter how much it had been scrambled. Once I had that, I kept repeating it just to see if I could beat my previous time. I got to where I could do it in a matter of 5 or so minutes - it was kind of like todays whiz-bangers doing their Rubik's Cubes in less than a minute.

After getting home from that trip I put that puzzle away in a drawer and never took it out again. I'm sure if I were to pick one up today it would take me forever to rediscover the system of quick-solving I discovered as a kid.

View attachment 123782

Pocket Solitaire 🥰🥰

I found some pics of a Stingray that's exactly like the one I had from '77-'83. The only difference I can see here is this one's got a T-Shift handle, mine was a little white ball. The rest matches perfectly. Gawd I miss that car. . .🤪

There is a place in my heart for those older models. Once you've rebuilt a couple small blocks, all that shit gets in your blood er something. After doing up yours you had favors to pay back, in the form of helping others get their thing together. Network swap meet guys. One guy knew welding, One guy knew HEI's and advance curves, one guy knew carbs...the older dudes with the lawn chairs. It all comes together. You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve. Its not money that makes these..you gotta have heart.
77-pgplj.jpeg

Buddy Shane bought a used 77 Grand Prix for work/school long ago. It was a HUGE black T Top car(no tease in pic). Mom thought the long hood was crash protection. It had a 400ci (small block GM corporate engine). With the TH400 Trans and Cowl hood. 3.08:1 ring gear in a 8 1/2" pumpkin. Actual posi-trac . Engine was rebuilt with generic white box forged pistons and mild cam. Shoe horned a 2,200 stall converter. Did the brakes and added a 'line lock', for smoke shows. Under the cowl, sat a fat Q jet, set up by yours truly. Get the carbs tip in , and HEI curve, tuned to the stall. Speedo went to 85 MPH. Tach redlined at 4500RPM.

Last edited:
Nice. Loved those THM400s. My tach redlined a little over 6K. Hitting 50+MPH in 1st gear saw red a few times.

The TH350's you could break with abuse..Not the TH400. TH400's were damn near indestructible.

The stock converter fins would bend from brake torquing it.(not considering torque converter as part of the trans) So we'd get the cheapo rebuilt Stall converters with 500-1000 rpm more stall than stock(50-75$)..The lockup control was on a remote switch. Under dash mounted all slick. So it could lockup on the highway at 65MPH. Get final drive RPM at the converters stall point, or just past it when you hit the switch. Slipping causes heat. Heat kills a transmission. Heat kills the performance. Locked up, the converter does not slip, and you get a true 1:1 ratio. Times before overdrive. The RPM at cruise would drop an extra 150-200 RPMs for lockup.
Screenshot 2023-04-02 040352.jpg
The converter is the thing to change when you want to spin the wheels and do burnouts. Fish tailing corners..Up the stall. Car makes WAY more torque at 2000RPM than at 1200RPM! You will have 3-4x times the power from a stand still. Its no 5 speed Honda that zips through the gears. These hulks, needed some time to pull themselves through some very steep gearing.

Drive normal keeping your foot out of it, and you wouldnt know its there. Might feel a little mushy at times if you go radical 3000++RPM stall.
sum-2800_jo_xl.jpg
I used real mild cams in everything. Cam -ing it up, wasnt where 'it ' was at..But his 77' Black Velvet interior Beast had a 400" V8 softer than ice cream.. Like 7.5:1 compression. The forged pistons upped it to 9.5:1. So we used the white box/melling or Edelbrock Performer type.(.420/.442" lift). Again, a huge difference from stock factory 400 smog era cam( .370 lift, 4500RPM redline). The 400 V8 in 77' had 160hp. The performer cam ups the game to 300+HP and 21" of vacuum at 650 RPM idle(like 5500RPM redline.). Whole white box rebuilt kit with cam and moly rings was like $50-60 bucks.

Last edited:
I played in bands from the time I was in Jr. hHigh (12-13 yes. old). My first electric guitar was a 1959 Danelectro Double Cutaway Deluxe. We got that and the Danoelectro 40 watt Centurion amp and Danelectro reverb tank from an older neighbor kid who was selling it. A few years later had a B-5 Bigsby installed on it before selling it when I bought a new Fender Jazzmaster right after high school graduation in the spring of 1965.
0F441D1E-9FFC-4A7B-B6CC-7E862A8120A3.jpeg
C5E13A3A-DAEF-48BF-B407-BE7D8FF25284.jpeg

49C1F033-C001-41A2-BF61-5203B46E694C.jpeg
A8B5935C-7922-4C19-8B3B-33E1C3F8596C.jpeg
D01AF07A-07DE-4706-B126-A7872D91F6E2.jpeg
Recorded with this I got for Christmas back in about 1961.
1663F31E-90DF-451B-AA05-1A810BA20467.jpeg
I had recordings of every band I had played in from 1959 on but sadly an ex-wife got rid of all my music stuff including all my recordings. Those along with all the photos I had of my five sons when they were young are things I really miss having.

Attachments

• AF8F2F41-CC46-4D99-B7BD-A35BB8DE5756.jpeg
    AF8F2F41-CC46-4D99-B7BD-A35BB8DE5756.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 64C89269-4D78-4B01-BE1F-E15B5280D45B.jpeg
    64C89269-4D78-4B01-BE1F-E15B5280D45B.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
I played in bands from the time I was in Jr. hHigh (12-13 yes. old). My first electric guitar was a 1959 Danelectro Double Cutaway Deluxe. We got that and the Danoelectro 40 watt Centurion amp and Danelectro reverb tank from an older neighbor kid who was selling it. A few years later had a B-5 Bigsby installed on it before selling it when I bought a new Fender Jazzmaster right after high school graduation in the spring of 1965.
View attachment 127712
View attachment 127661

View attachment 127673
View attachment 127685
View attachment 127682
Recorded with this I got for Christmas back in about 1961.
View attachment 127715
I had recordings of every band I had played in from 1959 on but sadly an ex-wife got rid of all my music stuff including all my recordings. Those along with all the photos I had of my five sons when they were young are things I really miss having.
They were good guitars for the money. I grew up close to Neptune N.J. and my buddys dad worked for Danelectro and he played. We got to see a lot of them. The lipstick pickup came about when the owner went over to Canal St. in NYC and came across the lipstick tubes in a surplus store and the rest is history

Back