Those were the days

I can't reminisce about the '70's. I just remember being very jealous of all those a little older than us because they were there and living through it and then those who were around to live through the '60's, in High School we used to ask our teachers, "Tell us about the '60's." They didn't ever say anything, we didn't understand why the hell not, but after a while, we just stopped asking. Stuff we missed: The Beatles, The Doors, The Who, The Stones, and a long list of others, but also the revolution in the air, the fu<k the man attitude, the cutting class, the cars, the clothes, we were stuck with Boy George and some other synth crap we all hated, and a couple of hold-outs who were above the rest that were good, but only maybe 2 or 3. We had the total undoing of the sexual revolution and free love and Ronald mother fu<king Reagan.
Dude, Ronald Reagan wasn't elected president until 1980. You're being nostalgic for in some part a bunch of 60s bullshit. Fuck the man? Those same spoiled kids of prosperous post WW2 era have become more "the man" than they ever fantasized rebeling against.

If you couldn't find good music in the 70s, you were looking in the wrong place. It damn sure wasn't up Boy George's skirt. Hell, I remember even radio had an awesome mixture we don't see today in format radio. You could here Jim Croce, next song up was Edgar Winter Frankenstein. All kinds of cool shit, and that was just radio. The 70s was very diverse. Punk, The Ramones, yeah, that was the fucking 70s. That wasn't "revolutionary" enough for you? Hated it then, but even the Bee Gees was later appreciated as putting out some good stuff. A lot of the keyboard shit and Boy George wasn't until the 80s anyway.

Yeah, there was some good, great music put out in the 60s. But some of it is overblown, including peace and love, and revolution bullshit. Spoiled white kids. The kind of spoiled white kids the likes of Charles Manson exploited. Somebody mentioned Dylan, to a degree he exploited it as well. Other than civil rights for blacks, he was never down with that crap. "The voice of a generation" never participated in that bullshit. "They're just songs, man."

Dude, Ronald Reagan wasn't elected president until 1980. You're being nostalgic for in some part a bunch of 60s bullshit. Fuck the man? Those same spoiled kids of prosperous post WW2 era have become more "the man" than they ever fantasized rebeling against.

If you couldn't find good music in the 70s, you were looking in the wrong place. It damn sure wasn't up Boy George's skirt. Hell, I remember even radio had an awesome mixture we don't see today in format radio. You could here Jim Croce, next song up was Edgar Winter Frankenstein. All kinds of cool shit, and that was just radio. The 70s was very diverse. Punk, The Ramones, yeah, that was the fucking 70s. That wasn't "revolutionary" enough for you? Hated it then, but even the Bee Gees was later appreciated as putting out some good stuff. A lot of the keyboard shit and Boy George wasn't until the 80s anyway.

Yeah, there was some good, great music put out in the 60s. But some of it is overblown, including peace and love, and revolution bullshit. Spoiled white kids. The kind of spoiled white kids the likes of Charles Manson exploited. Somebody mentioned Dylan, to a degree he exploited it as well. Other than civil rights for blacks, he was never down with that crap. "The voice of a generation" never participated in that bullshit. "They're just songs, man."
I like a lot of the 80s synth stuff, so to you I say, nanny nanny boo boo. I just bought a Duran Duran CD for a buck! They saved me from all that hair shit like Scorpion et. al. and all the heavy metal that was classical music without the class. Charles Manson and the busting of "The Brotherhood of Love" put an end to lingering effect of the summer of love. Art Linkletters daughter jumping off a building leading up to that didn't help much either. The Hells Angles at Altamont set a good example. The whole scene just got ugly as the hustlers took over. It is all water over the dam now.

I was pretty much in the poor house when I got a job at the Post Office. Finally saved up enough money to feed my desire to record all these songs I had written. It was very memorable going to NY City's music row in 82 where I bought a Tascam 4 track cassette, an EMU drumulator and a Korg Poly 800, and I was off to the races on my recording life.

I was pretty much in the poor house when I got a job at the Post Office. Finally saved up enough money to feed my desire to record all these songs I had written. It was very memorable going to NY City's music row in 82 where I bought a Tascam 4 track cassette, an EMU drumulator and a Korg Poly 800, and I was off to the races on my recording life.
I still have a Poly 800

I still have a Juno 60(Roland).

I might could be convinced to part with it. Eh, $2,600 plus the cost of shipping and it could be yours. Maybe.

I had a Kawai K3 - bought it for MIDI piano & organ, never got into other synth sounds with it. Damn thing weighed a ton, I had to buy a hand truck to lug it around. I was going to sell it to a guy in Texas I was collaborating with, but he was just beginning a divorce and that fell through. Good thing too, because shipping from Maryland to Texas wasn't cheap. It finally disappeared in "the great liquidation of '09".

I still have a Juno 60(Roland).

I might could be convinced to part with it. Eh, $2,600 plus the cost of shipping and it could be yours. Maybe.

What, $1,800? You got to be crazy, don't be private messaging me with that nonsense. Take on me, sweet dreams are made of these. I might not be a Jen Hamer or a Howard Stern, but I'm not like a virgin either. Before I just give it away I'll play me some Da DooRan Da DooRan enjoying that sweet analog polyphonic gayness.

You know what those things are going for these days, upwards of 4 grand. Now if you were to offer, say, $2,300, plus the cost of shipping, I might... might consider the offer. And that's only because I like you, so don't push it.

Doh, I gotta go, I just got another private message. Just sayin', don't let any grass grow under your feet before pulling the trigger, 'cause you know you want it at practically any price. I can feel it, the bidding war is fixin' to commence.

I had a coworker give me a Roland Juno 60 about 12 years ago. He didn't play and knew nothing about it or what it really was, said it wasn't working. I don't know where he got it. All it needed was a battery. I sold it on ebay with it's case not long after he gave it to me. Maybe it wasn't the Juno 60, it was Juno something. I just looked it up, it was a Juno 106.

That's above my pay grade. :)
It is really pretty simple. Mine was the first generation. It doesn't have an internal battery and only takes the C batteries. I am not about to use them. Anytime I feel like playing it I just work up a voice. Once I shut her off it is gone.

That's above my pay grade. :)

What're you tryin' to say, I gotta pay all the shipping? Sheesh, you drive a hard bargain, my friend. Okay, okay, I'll pay them damn shipping. I hope you know that for 3k you're getting a helluva deal.

Just a word of advice. Take on Me, when it gets to that really high part, don't try it. Jus' sayin', A-ha might well turn to an uh-oh.

Sorry if this is going off the rails...maybe?

My stepfather recently passed away. Though retired, he was an engineer. Nuclear, at one point. After 3 Mile Island I think he was kind of forced to take a different path, power generation in general.

Anyway, in retirement he started in old radios. Antiques. Completely redoing them inside and out. Biguns, little ones, beautiful console types. Harvesting old speakers, tubes, etc. Rigging with modern jacks for mp3 players and such. Shipping to buyers all over the world. Apparently there is a huge market for some of that stuff in east asia. So, sadly he passed. He had a bad back for some time that could never get sorted. As a result of his weak legs on account of lack of exercise he fell checking the mail one day, broke his femur. Never got back on his feet and sadly up & died about 8 weeks later. He was a good man. So my mother has all of these radios in various states of repair/disrepair. A roughly 500 sq ft basement lined with shelving, hundreds of radios. I had talked to him enough about them to know some that could possibly look like a near piece of junk could be worth thousands, while others in more pristine shape are not really worth that much, monetarily. Now she is stuck with them, all the questions of worth, all the money tied up in that....stuff. Beautiful old stuff. She would sort of complain at times, all that stuff. He would say, "That's our retirement!". Not true, he made sure she would be well taken care of if something ever happened to him. But still..

I don't know what to tell her. That's a deep dive to sort through.

"Those same spoiled kids of prosperous post WW2 era have become more "the man" than they ever fantasized rebeling against."

I was never spoiled. We were lower middle class and just a crass. I am still rebelling.

Back