Graphic Novels/Comic Books

"arkham asylum" is pretty frigging dark, and the artwork is amazing. i bought that over 15 years ago, and i still enjoy it.

i've never read "watchmen" but i have a couple friends who are crazy about it. you know they're making that into a movie?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/17/must-watch-zack-snyders-watchmen-trailer-absolutely-stunning/

as for comics, i grew up on transformers, g.i. joe, punisher, x-men, spiderman, and lots of others. i still have all of them. every couple years i go through and take a gander at the covers in their hard-backed sleeves. :o

i also have wolverine #1-30 or so...

"arkham asylum" is pretty frigging dark, and the artwork is amazing. i bought that over 15 years ago, and i still enjoy it.

i've never read "watchmen" but i have a couple friends who are crazy about it. you know they're making that into a movie?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/17/must-watch-zack-snyders-watchmen-trailer-absolutely-stunning/

as for comics, i grew up on transformers, g.i. joe, punisher, x-men, spiderman, and lots of others. i still have all of them. every couple years i go through and take a gander at the covers in their hard-backed sleeves. :o

i also have wolverine #1-30 or so...

Watchmen is great. Awesome story. Alan Moore is probably my favourite writer. I know they are making a movie, but I don't know how they are going to pull it off. It's going to have to be a long movie. Apparently it's coming up to 3 hours but I think you you really need about 5 hours. Thee's something about the costumes for the movie aswell that doesn't look right.

I really like Arkham Aslylum too, although haven't had the chance to get a full read of it.

I never really grew up on comic books unfortunately. My parents always thought they were too stupid. This is something Ive really only got the chance to get into in the last 5 years.

Aha! A thread I can contribute too. Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are unparalleled. I'm a huge fan of Transmetropolitan, and I like all the other favorites too...Preacher, Sandman, Kingdom Come, Marvels, Arkham Asylum...

And I gotta admit...I'm a ridiculous X-Men nerd. I never could get enough.

I'm worried about the Watchmen movie...should I be?

I'm worried about the Watchmen movie...should I be?

I'm a little worried myself. Although the guy making it is a big fan of the novel. Terry Gilliam was originally supposed to be making it, but he backed out because he didn't believe it could be done in less than a 5 hour miniseries.

I guess I'll just end up enjoying it as a movie in it's own right. I really liked the V for Vendetta movie despite it deviating from the book quite a bit. And Wanted, which is almost unrecognisable as a remake of book.

I'm a little worried myself. Although the guy making it is a big fan of the novel. Terry Gilliam was originally supposed to be making it, but he backed out because he didn't believe it could be done in less than a 5 hour miniseries.

I guess I'll just end up enjoying it as a movie in it's own right. I really liked the V for Vendetta movie despite it deviating from the book quite a bit. And Wanted, which is almost unrecognisable as a remake of book.

yeah, v for vendetta was good as a movie, but i could've done without the overt, exaggerated, one-sided political agenda.

oh, i also have "killing joke" and "batman year one" which are good too--but neither of them holds a candle to "arkham."

yeah, v for vendetta was good as a movie, but i could've done without the overt, exaggerated, one-sided political agenda.

But what else d'you expect from a Wachowski movie? :p

And of course, it's not beneficial to Hollywood for them to be seen to be promoting anarchy. Even if it is contrasted against fascism.

For me, it was Hugo Weaver's dialogue that made that film.

From a purist's perspective, Hollywood has fucked up Alan Moore's work with every movie they've made. From Hell; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; V for Vendetta. All of them have been heavily bastardised in some way. Moore just won't get involved anymore. He'll let them make the movies but won't let them put his name on them.

I prefer to look at the movies as seperate entities rather than accompaniments to the books...

The Watchmen trailer looked good. I'm still apprehensive about how the best comic story ever written could translate into a movie, but at least I'm looking forward to giving it a chance now.

Ah...Planetary is another one that I liked. Has the 4th TPB come out yet? I'd like to know how this all ends, but haven't bothered to buy the single issues...

Ah...Planetary is another one that I liked. Has the 4th TPB come out yet? I'd like to know how this all ends, but haven't bothered to buy the single issues...

No the 4th TPB hasn't been released yet, because issue 27 hasn't come out yet due to illnesses, plus working on other things. 27's been due for ages, but there won't be a 4th TPB without it.

Wow, shows how much I've kept in the Planetary loop...I thought the story was finished.:o

To be honest I asked my housemate. She's read virtually every comic book ever written. Or at least anything I can name. And I noticed she had a few Planetary TPB's in the big stack of them she has (which is apparently a very small percentage of the comic books she owns) so she seemed the person to ask.

Ooohh...go check those out. Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan) is definitely up there with the best of 'em. This book seems strangely incoherent and unresolving for a few issues, and then suddenly everything clicks. Great stuff.

Will do. Just working through a bunch of her Transmetropolitan, and The Boys TPB's at the moment.

Last edited:
Back