SM7B or CloudLifter wanted

andrushkiwt

... Looking for both/either. Anyone have either that they are willing to part with? New for both is rather pricey... so looking to save a few pennies since tuition for classes is due this week. Let me know here or in PM. I'm in the Detroit area, fyi. Thanks!

So, picked them up today. Using them on a project as I write. Four takes down, another 10 or so to go. First - this thing is REALLY quiet. And I mean that in more ways than one. It needs the CloudLifter, though I was able to get a decent signal by cranking my 2i2 up to 60% or so, although there was more noise in that method. Then, I inserted the CL-1 into the chain and I turned the 2i2 down to about 20% gain, and this is much better. It's about as loud as before (without the CL-1) but cleaner and more accurate.

I thought there would be a switch of some kind on the CL-1 to let me decide how much gain I want to use, but NOPE! It's just full gain or none. It doesn't require power, aside from probably the interface/phantom maybe? I don't know if it's drawing power from that or not, though I suspect it is since the hiss from the DAW gets louder when I plug in the CL-1 without the mic plugged in at the end of that chain. So, that's one way I can tell it's working.

The 7b is pretty sweet. I now have a "real" mic. :) Immediately, I felt like I could perform better. Maybe it's psychological, knowing that I have a well-known and respected vocal mic. Also, it really cuts out outside noise, hum, and whatever else. You have to be pretty direct when singing into it. But the old condenser I used (st51) would pick up a ton of hissing and outside noise, but with this 7b I wasn't even sure it was on and picking up sound until I sang into it! To make that more clear, I usually put headphones on, and turn on the mic channel in my DAW. The mic is inside the walk-in closet, but I could hear traffic noise and whatnot very loudly in my headphones by just engaging the mic channel (setting it to rec). With the 7b, I turned on the mic channel and heard NOTHING. That is, until I stepped in front of it and started singing. And it was loud (CL-1 was on). But no external noise - or very, very minimal.

I'm debating on trying it without the screen, and just using my pop filter. It comes with 2 foams, one already attached, the other separate. Some use the mic without EITHER screen, and it gets a brighter sound. I've kept the shelves completely flat, for now. I'll record my tune, mix it and whatnot, then reevaluate for the next one if I should change anything up about the setup. Whether I should engage the boosts or cuts, or switch up the foam situation.
[MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] [MENTION=185561]Robus[/MENTION]

Not trying to hijack, but wtf is a cloud lifter? Is this an exclusive to the SM7b device?

Not trying to hijack, but wtf is a cloud lifter? Is this an exclusive to the SM7b device?
Inline preamp powered by phantom power that boosts the level of low output mics like the SM7b by about 25dB (clean gain). Useful for interfaces that are short on gain. There are versions by other manufacturers that do about the same. I have a FetHead for my SM7b and RE20 which does the same, but different packaging.
Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator CL-1 B&H Photo

So, picked them up today. Using them on a project as I write. Four takes down, another 10 or so to go. First - this thing is REALLY quiet. And I mean that in more ways than one. It needs the CloudLifter, though I was able to get a decent signal by cranking my 2i2 up to 60% or so, although there was more noise in that method. Then, I inserted the CL-1 into the chain and I turned the 2i2 down to about 20% gain, and this is much better. It's about as loud as before (without the CL-1) but cleaner and more accurate.

I thought there would be a switch of some kind on the CL-1 to let me decide how much gain I want to use, but NOPE! It's just full gain or none. It doesn't require power, aside from probably the interface/phantom maybe? I don't know if it's drawing power from that or not, though I suspect it is since the hiss from the DAW gets louder when I plug in the CL-1 without the mic plugged in at the end of that chain. So, that's one way I can tell it's working.

The 7b is pretty sweet. I now have a "real" mic. :) Immediately, I felt like I could perform better. Maybe it's psychological, knowing that I have a well-known and respected vocal mic. Also, it really cuts out outside noise, hum, and whatever else. You have to be pretty direct when singing into it. But the old condenser I used (st51) would pick up a ton of hissing and outside noise, but with this 7b I wasn't even sure it was on and picking up sound until I sang into it! To make that more clear, I usually put headphones on, and turn on the mic channel in my DAW. The mic is inside the walk-in closet, but I could hear traffic noise and whatnot very loudly in my headphones by just engaging the mic channel (setting it to rec). With the 7b, I turned on the mic channel and heard NOTHING. That is, until I stepped in front of it and started singing. And it was loud (CL-1 was on). But no external noise - or very, very minimal.

I'm debating on trying it without the screen, and just using my pop filter. It comes with 2 foams, one already attached, the other separate. Some use the mic without EITHER screen, and it gets a brighter sound. I've kept the shelves completely flat, for now. I'll record my tune, mix it and whatnot, then reevaluate for the next one if I should change anything up about the setup. Whether I should engage the boosts or cuts, or switch up the foam situation.
[MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] [MENTION=185561]Robus[/MENTION]

Cool man. Enjoy.

I would say lose the foam and use your pop filter. Just what I do. You wan't those highs in there and you are not doing voiceover work. You want those esses in there. Just not the windy kind...:)

Inline preamp powered by phantom power that boosts the level of low output mics like the SM7b by about 25dB (clean gain). Useful for interfaces that are short on gain. There are versions by other manufacturers that do about the same. I have a FetHead for my SM7b and RE20 which does the same, but different packaging.
Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator CL-1 B&H Photo

Cool. Thanks for the info. :)
[MENTION=185749]andrushkiwt[/MENTION] Yay! You got a 'real' mic.

Real monitors, now real mic. Moving on up!
:D

Real monitors, now real mic. Moving on up!
:D

Thanks! ha, glad for you guys around here... no one else would give two craps :) Really geeked to get this song mixed.

Doing vocal comps at the moment, going over the 40 or so total takes I did in 2 days. Some with the old condenser and some with the 7b. I much prefer the 7b. It's darker, yeah, but that's what a little SSL EQ channel is for. :) Can't wait to hear how it sounds once I've edited all these takes and cut them down to 2 tracks, then blend em' in... I'm very excited, clearly. :) Last piece of gear I needed to get.

Back