Buying equipment. I need a Handheld recorder and a rode shotgun mic.

Endorya

Buying equipment. I need a handheld recorder (dr-40 / zoom h4n) and a Rode NTG2 shotgun mic (or equivalent). If someone has one to sell, please drop me a line.

Last edited:
The H4n can be had for pretty cheap. I got mine for $200. As for shotguns, I found mine on the local craigslist. It seems there are lots of aspiring videographers around that buy mics and then sell them within a few months in my area. If you want, take a look on the Toronto, Ontario, CANADA craigslist and see if you can find something you like. I could buy it for you and ship it over, if the local guy doesn't want to ship.

That is really nice of you! But how much would it cost to send it across the Atlantic as far as taxes are concerned? All things I attempted to buy from the US get a huge boost on their cost for sending it over Europe! I'm sorry if this sounds like a noob question but I don't usually order that much internationally. I actually wouldn't mind getting it brand new from the US because it still costs way less than a brand new ordered from UK / Portugal. The only problem are the taxes :(

Can't wait to hear from you!

Your best bet might be items in Europe on ebay or maybe stores like Thomann.

Postage can be heavy enough coming from UK or wherever, but at least there are no taxes.
I post to Europe once in a while.
Tracked postage is hefty; Non tracked isn't so bad.

I once sent a guitar pedal to Thailand and it cost something around $40 Canadian. I also sent a guitar pedal to Germany and I think it was about $30 or so. Shipping really isn't all that much, imo. I always find it strange how much ppl freak out about the costs of it, as if it's gonna cost as much as the item itself or something.

Anyway, things can be sent as "gifts" and that can help offset the costs of tariffs or import taxes sometimes. You have to be careful with that though, because if there's a problem with the shipment, there's no recourse. Unfortunately, when you buy from a manufacturer or retailer, there's basically no way to avoid the additional charges but if there's a problem, it's generally not too hard to get what's owed you.

I once sent a guitar pedal to Thailand and it cost something around $40 Canadian. I also sent a guitar pedal to Germany and I think it was about $30 or so. Shipping really isn't all that much, imo. I always find it strange how much ppl freak out about the costs of it, as if it's gonna cost as much as the item itself or something.

I tried yesterday to get a The Tascam DR-40 recorder from US's Amazon costing $164. When I went to check out it required me to pay $358. I guess this is why people do freak out. :) I clicked on details and I was paying about 5-6 items on expenses summing nearly $200.

Well, I think I'll simply have to order from UK's amazon or Thomann.
Nonetheless, thank you very much to considerate my issue.

I always find it strange how much ppl freak out about the costs of it, as if it's gonna cost as much as the item itself or something.

It does, depending where you live.
I posted a 1u rack limiter to a guy somewhere in europe last week.
limiter = £60, postage = £50.

Normally people don't bother with that, but this guy was more than happy to pay.
I suppose it's balanced out by the cost of new goods wherever he lives.

I think without tracking was £4X, but then if it "Doesn't arrive" I had no proof and have to just issue a refund.

Back