Wharfedale EVP-15P - Innards Broken, Can I Build Own?

_brian_

Hey, at work I was handed a Wharfedale EVP-15P, I reluctantly accepted it to have a look at.

Now, it refused to turn on, and so I took the thing apart and started examining the unit. Someone has already been in at the unit, and going by what was done, it seems the person didn't have much of a clue what he or she was doing.

I restored the unit to how components should have been connected. I then find I'm getting power through the circuit and it's being stepped down. However, I noticed all outputs from the board to distribute power to the other boards were giving out a steady 11.5V AC.

There's a rectifier on the board, and there are parts to where a stepped down AC voltage should go, but not everywhere it's going at the moment. I then find out that there is a chip onboard - the DT5188A. If this is gone then everything is knacked, and I cant find a replacement.

Looking at it from my point of view, it's a low end active speaker, that has over-complicated innards. After finding out someone has been experimenting with the unit before me - soldering and desoldering things it seems to me the best option would be to get rid of the insides.

What I would be willing to do is create an active circuit and stick it in the speaker. If not, then I'll just stick in a crossover and make it a passive speaker.

Any advice?

Back