Got some rockwool today.

Five pieces of 1200x600x100.

I don't have an ideal room or one that I can alter, so I made up some cheap and nasties that I can bring out for vocal tracking, etc.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Thanks to Kip4 for sorting out postage! :)

I wish I had this stuff a week ago when Dreamcaseal was here. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Nice work steeno.
The differance is night and day. It's really tamed the highs and sibbilance and made the low end tighter too.
I've got some left over. I'm gonna make some gobbos now too.
When i get my little traps done i'll post up some pics too.

You need your gloves and ppe on when dealing with this stuff or you'll be itching till bedtime for anyone whos thinking of making some.
I covered mine in a cheap black weed barrier for gardening just to keep the fibers in until i get the fabric i want to cover them in.
They really are so easy to make.
Enjoy Paul.

I'll tell you what mate.
When i went to the post office (in the village coop store) I said to the woman.
"I have a parcel to send but i've left it in the car because its so big."
She pulled the face and said "What does it weigh?" i said around 15 kg
She snapped at me and said " We will need an accurate weight or we wont be able to help you."
I'm thinking here we go just what I need a snotty postmistress.
My thinking was they'd have a decent sized scales out back and i wouldnt have to carry this hefty bundle down the narrow isles right past all the shoppers
I didnt think it would fit on the tiddly scales either.
You should have seen her face when i came round the corner with it.
I nearly knocked all the brochures, card machine and pens and shit off the counter.
After much questioning and looking up on the paperwork. She agreed to send it.
She said "I'll need a young postman to get a trolley and fetch it."
She dissapeared after a young postman went past the counter to the back of the shop but oooooh bad luck he was too busy to do it so she had to. Shame.
I was dead chuffed, she couldnt really refuse to send it for any reason.
I wondered if she'd go all health and safety on me when she saw it was insulation. It made my day.

Ha! Nice story man. I had a few funny ones in the post office last year.

Trying to get a Teac/Tascam A3440 (in very generous packaging) up on to scales at about chest height was good value. :p

Just did a quick sing and play without the panels and then with.
The difference is as above, but the big thing that really shocked me is how great the deadened take sounds with reverb applied.

The same reverb on the 'open room' recordings sounds messy and unfocussed; Something I would have been battling when mixing.
The take with the panels up just sounds really nice.

I know it stands to reason, but I was surprised just how big an effect there was.

www.steenaudio.com/comparisondry.wav
www.steenaudio.com/comparisonwet.wav

Last edited:
I know this has been up for a while, but only just got round to listening. The difference is massive - I've read a lot on here about the difference acoustic treatment makes, but never been able to A/B it before. Got to say, I'm really impressed - the dry version is just so much better.

Thanks for posting both up Steen, really useful post :)

Cheers, Rob.
Glad you found it useful. :)
I'm really digging these panels.

I recorded Pete Gardiner's Christmas single with them.
The vocal recordings just worked so much better from the get go, but strangely I had to take the gobos down for guitar work.
They just killed it.

Something to keep in mind.

There was a chap a while ago who had a small untreated room. He made some small 4" panels IIRC and strategically placed them so he could do voice over work.
The difference was day and night! He posted a great example clip but I can't remember who he was. :facepalm:

Last edited:
What do you have in mind for legs to make them sturdy? Possibly some handles as well?

I put some door hinges on several of mine and at any time I can link a few together with the help of a pin or nail in the hinge joint. ;)

I did the latter.
I have four boards, hinged together in pairs.

I'm not going to bother with feet because closing each pair a few degrees seems to stabalise them well enough.

I might fit little handles though. They are quite awkward to move around.

Cheers. ;)

Last edited:
Back