fostex R8 tape time not working

jerka

Hi

I have a Fostex R8, and suddenly (after cleaning) the tape time counter is not working. It stays at 00:00:00 and there is a small red flashing dot to the left of the digits. It is still possible to play back and record, only the timer is stuck. Any ideas of what might be the problem? The Owner's Manual is not helping me. Does anyone know where to get the Service Manual?

Thanks in advance

Jerka

If it's like the TSR-8 or Studer A807, the counter is driven by one of the rollers on the left hand side, which probably has a photosensor below it and a patterned disk etched into the bottom of the roller.

If this roller is not working, the counter will not get a signal. On the other hand, if that happens on the TSR it gets really, really confused and behaves abnormally.

I might have to break out my A8 and see how that one works, but I'd check the rollers first. Failing that it may be an electronics fault, either in the sensor, the display processor or the connection between the two. If the transport itself is working I doubt the CPU is the problem.

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply. You are right, there are two sensors and a patterned disk under the left roller. I don't know how to check it though. Any suggestions? Also, the player behaves strange sometimes during FF and REV, slowing down and the STOP button stops working. It is possible to stop the tape by first pressing the button for winding opposite direction and then STOP.

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply. You are right, there are two sensors and a patterned disk under the left roller. I don't know how to check it though. Any suggestions? Also, the player behaves strange sometimes during FF and REV, slowing down and the STOP button stops working. It is possible to stop the tape by first pressing the button for winding opposite direction and then STOP.

If the tach roller on a TSR-8 stops working for some reason, FF and RW don't respond to the STOP button anymore. It doesn't slow down, though. It might be the same kind of thing, the R8 and TSR-8 being different designs.
(EDIT: The slowing-down might also be the tape. Is it new RMGI, or old Ampex stock?)

Checking it is tricky. It could be one of the following:
1. The patterned disk is physically missing. Someone here actually bought a TSR in that condition.
2. The patterned disk has detached and is spinning freely instead of rotating with the roller.
3. One or more of the LEDs has failed.
4. One or more of the sensors has failed.
5. The sensor module has somehow become unplugged in transit, at either end.

I'd start by making sure the disk spins properly and the pattern isn't somehow damaged. The usual arrangement is that it has a cap at the top which unscrews allowing you to remove it.

It's also possible to check the LEDs fairly easily. You'd need to remove the tach roller for this, though. If they're red LEDs you're golden because you can just look at them and see if it's working.
You might need to start the transport, though and it's best if you run it without any tape on the machine.
To do this on a TSR-8, you remove the tape, pull up the right-hand roller (as if it had tape loaded), and the capstan should start spinning. Then you can press PLAY, REW etc.
The R8 is probably similar, if that doesn't work try holding both rollers up - I don't think the R8 has a tape-break sensor like the B77 does, but if it does you'll need to block it with card or something.

Once you've fooled the machine into running without a tape loaded, and with the tach roller removed, look at the LEDs. If they're glowing red, that's good. If they aren't, they might be infra-red ones, which requires a bit more effort.

To check an IR LED, find a video camera with a preview - a digital camera or a phone might do. Check it works by using a remote control - you should be able to see the LED at the end come on in the preview window, when you press a button on it. Not all cameras can see this so you might need to try several.

Assuming you can find something that can see in infra-red, run the machine up with no tape as before, and see if the LEDs are glowing.

If they are both lit up, I'm out of ideas. You might still check the cables in case it's only half plugged in or something, e.g. the sensors are out but the lights are on. After that you'd have to check that the sensor is getting a voltage across it using a multimeter or something.

Checking the cables is self-explanatory, they're usually plugged in with a jumper plug of some kind. You will have to open the machine up to do this, though and that needs advice from someone who's done this on an R8.

Thanks for the really detailed advice. I already checked the LEDs yesterday and couldn't see any light. Today when I checked using a camera I could see that they were working IR LEDs. I fiddled a little with the patterned disk (which I could not remove) and then when I tried the machine it was working again. A miracle, thank you very much for your help.

Thanks for the really detailed advice. I already checked the LEDs yesterday and couldn't see any light. Today when I checked using a camera I could see that they were working IR LEDs. I fiddled a little with the patterned disk (which I could not remove) and then when I tried the machine it was working again. A miracle, thank you very much for your help.

Well, I'm a little put out that it's not obvious why it went wrong, but hey, maybe the sensors were dirty or something. Anyway, good luck with it!

Well, I guess I cheered a little too early. It's now working sometimes, and sometimes not. I think it is either the pattern or the cables. But 'Ill manage. Thanks again.

Hi

Im having a very similar problem here. The tape time counter works as normal, reads up and down, but when trying to reset it to zero, it resets, then when play is engaged again it goes back to the tape time it originally had befre resetting. There is also a fast flashing led after the tape time numbers, so im thinking there is a setting im not noticing that needs to be reset. Ive checked the manual though and cant find anything..... I have two r8s, and have taken the left roller from this working one and tried on the not working one, no joy.

Any ideas?

Hey jpmorris.
Just read you great post since I'm having a similar problem with the count sensor (I think so at least) on my R8.
But instead of messing with RW and FF it slows incrisingly as it gets to the last 4-5 minutes of tape. It comes to almost half speed.

I opened it I gave it a full service to the rubber belt and the motor pulleys, since the belt and capstan were glossy.
I also took out the gloss and increased the tension on the pinch roller.
After this the R8 never had so much strenght but the tapes kept slowing down at the end.

Then I tested the count sensor. I cut a round piece of white cardboard and placed it covering the patterned disk (wich, by the way, is in perfect condition).
Now it started to work ok, but obviously is not doing any counting.

Recently I've been using RMG LPR 35 1/4" 1100M (NAB pancake) wich I divide onto two 7'' reels.
After reading your post I tried an older tape on wich I recorded stuff (BASF LGR30P) and apparently is not doing the slowing down at the end of the tape.
The only thing it does is that it starts at a higher speed and imediatly stabilizes a a lower speed. But not as much as it did with the RMG, because these get really slow.
By the way, when I covered the patterned disk the tape plays at the same speed as it started but I guess its because the sensor isn't doing any thing covered.

Probably is the RMG tape problem.
What do you think? And if it's a tape problem, what tapes would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
ricodemus

I don't know the R8 much, but here's a few things to consider:
Is the problem with playback, or fast winding or both?
If it's playback, suspect the capstan system. It may be the belt (did you actually replace them when you serviced them, or just poke them about a bit?).
It may be that the rubber pinch roller has gone soft (does the speed go back to normal if you squeeze the roller against the capstan by hand? Push it with the hub, not the rotating part of the roller proper)
The R8 also has a problem where the plastic drive pulley on the capstan motor comes loose and falls off or stops rotating properly. People have fixed this by gluing it on.

If it's a winding problem only and playback is fine, suspect the drive belts and replace them if possible. I understand they're toothed on the R8, but I suspect someone out there is making compatible belts for it.

I know it's been a few years but I'm experiencing a very similar issue, if anyone has an update I'd be stoked to hear it.

I've been using a Fostex R8 to record for about 5 years now and it's been great. Occasionally it breaks down but nothing I haven't been able to fix until recently. I sat down to record the other day to the machine starting and then stopping. Everything seems to work fine but the machine will stop after the counter reaches 2 seconds. After a bit of messing around I found out that it is the counter causing the problem.

I'm at a total loss as to what is causing this. I've cleaned the count sensor as well as the inside of the wheel to no success. As far as I can tell theres nothing out of place mechanically on the inside of this machine. I'm wondering if ya'll have encountered a problem like this on any kind of reel to reel.

Back