Yes Acoustic

60's guy

A few years ago my youngest daughter gave me the Yes Acoustic DVD.
I had forgotten about it until this week when I was rummaging through all of my DVD discs.
I finally watched it.
Awesome DVD!
Anyone else here ever seen it?

No, but now I want to.

I saw them either in Hartford or New Haven, think it was Hartford. The stage was circular and rotated throughout the show. I remember the beginning, but that was about it. My sisters got me so stoned that night. What a waste of a great concert.

No, I don't think so. I think I may have seen a song or two on youtube. It sounds fascinating. I was a BIG Yes fan. Squire was my hero when I was young. Kind of molded my approach to music in some ways. Start with a basic thread, then each person weaves their own part on top of that, until they end up with a glorious tapestry that is magnicicent as a whole, yet each intricate design is beautiful on it's own.

No, but now I want to.

I saw them either in Hartford or New Haven, think it was Hartford. The stage was circular and rotated throughout the show. I remember the beginning, but that was about it. My sisters got me so stoned that night. What a waste of a great concert.
I saw them in the round, too. But I saw them several times, both before and after that. Unfortunately I never got to see them with Bruford.

Close, but no cigar..

I saw Asia at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md. This must have been 1981-82.. right after their first album release. The band didn't perform acoustically, but Steve Howe came out, sat on a stool center stage and did a l-o-n-g, non-stop solo performance with his acoustic.

I didn't care for Asia as a band but Steve's acoustic performance was great.

Want an anecdote? I live in a little seaside town. One of our Vicars moved from the town to a village about 20 miles away, he stayed there for ten years or so and got on really well with the community, then he got moved back here to a little church near the sea. The Church committee told him it was usual for the new vicar to arrange a music event, and it would be nice to find somebody 'proficient' to give a concert. He said he'd ask his mate - and they looked over their glasses and assumed friend = poor quality. The friend was Rick Wakeman - who did a blistering concert in the little tiny church.

Yes, I've seen that one. Love watching Steve Howe do Long Distance Runaround on the acoustic.

Yes is near the tops for pure musicianship among rock bands.

Want an anecdote? I live in a little seaside town. One of our Vicars moved from the town to a village about 20 miles away, he stayed there for ten years or so and got on really well with the community, then he got moved back here to a little church near the sea. The Church committee told him it was usual for the new vicar to arrange a music event, and it would be nice to find somebody 'proficient' to give a concert. He said he'd ask his mate - and they looked over their glasses and assumed friend = poor quality. The friend was Rick Wakeman - who did a blistering concert in the little tiny church.
Wowzer that had to be awesome! I'm a big Wakeman fan...Got to see him perform Journey to the center of the earth and some of the Six wives stuff at the Hollywood Bowl a million years ago...dudes a beast of rock keyboardist with a shit of classical training under his belt...

I've got to see Yes multiple times and at one concert Jon Anderson did an accapella version of Amazing Grace that was....AMAZING! Got to go to their after party at the Alladin in Vegas in the late 70's , Wakeman and Squire are like + 6' 4" tall

I've worked on three or four of his solo shows over the years - always great if you like keys based music - but he's actually a great story teller too - he tells stories then does some music - then more chat. His son is really good too. He's got a big old barn - full of his old kit.

Awesome anecdote! But it doesn't surprise me at all. Rick Wakeman seems to enjoy sharing his talent and sense of humor with everyone.
Wakeman's sense of humor was on full display when he narrated the Special Features portion of the Yes Acoustic DVD.
Wakeman's sense of humor shines through at the beginning of..

I've got to see Yes multiple times and at one concert Jon Anderson did an accapella version of Amazing Grace that was....AMAZING! Got to go to their after party at the Alladin in Vegas in the late 70's , Wakeman and Squire are like + 6' 4" tall
When I met Squire I shook his hand. Talk about meathooks! 😮

Reactions: TAE
I didn't care for Asia as a band but Steve's acoustic performance was great.
I've always loved "Mood for a day" but I had to do an Audacity {or should that be audacious} edit to make it agreeable. I think my edit is better than the actual original !
Steve is definitely a better guitarist than he is author. His autobiography is 309 pages of him barely telling the reader anything of note ! Unless you want to know his touring itinerary over a 50 year period ~ which I didn't !

Back