It's So Depressing

Snowman999

Pre 2000 (I hit 40), I had to choose shows to go see. There'd be more than one a night I would have wanted to see. By 2010 I was seeing old bands. Now, those bands are ancient. Yes, it's fun to reminisce as you watch a 70-year-old try to act like they're 20, and in no way pull it off. Or you see an old decrepit fossil who can no longer move. It's just depressing.

I find bands here and there that aren't bad. Gladie, Mattiel and Babygirl all write and perform really great songs. That ain't saying much, none have a following. I've now taken to looking at the local venues for upcoming shows and checking out everyone that's playing. I went through over 30 artists performing the next few months at Philadelphia's Foundry and they all SUCKED.

I get to borrow blu rays for free from my library. The last 50 films I saw made within the past few years, 3 were excellent, 10 were passable. The others were either awful or unwatchable.

Music and film are in the shitter.

I find bands here and there that aren't bad. Gladie, Mattiel and Babygirl all write and perform really great songs. That ain't saying much, none have a following. I've now taken to looking at the local venues for upcoming shows and checking out everyone that's playing. I went through over 30 artists performing the next few months at Philadelphia's Foundry and they all SUCKED.

I get to borrow blu rays for free from my library. The last 50 films I saw made within the past few years, 3 were excellent, 10 were passable. The others were either awful or unwatchable.

Music and film are in the shitter.
If you find a band or artist you like what does it matter if they have a following?

As far as films - they can be entertaining but how many really "great" films have there been? They're generally about fantasy, unrealistic scenarios, emotional manipulation. It's an industry that spends a lot of energy congratulating itself and telling the world it's important.

What's a few films you consider to be great?

Last edited:
If you find a band or artist you like what does it matter if they have a following?

As far as films - they can be entertaining but how many really "great" films have there been?

What's a few films you consider to be great?
the watchmen 2oo9 . bloody, violent, beautiful, nudity, swinging dick of dr Manhattan, travel to mars, the world goes crazy, superheroes are among us, unjust police and politics. great soundtrack. a jail break. they cruise around in a tic tac ufo..the whole fucking movie is on the pulse of the nation at the time..

best quote..'the american dream? it came true youre looking at it'

best movie opening credit scene..

three hrs of pure storyline...not marvel movie or disney that leaves you unsatisfied. this one packs a punch..and has an ending. we go to war...and find out the truth..were killing each other

see the directors cut

Last edited:
the watchmen 2oo9 . bloody, vilolent, beautful, nudity, swinging dick of dr Manhattan, travel to mars, the world goes crazy, superheroes are among us, unjust police and politics. great soundtrack. a jail break. they cruise around in a tic tac ufo..the whole fucking movie is on the pulse of the nation at the time..

best quote..'the american dream? it came true youre looking at it'

best movie opening credit scene..

three hrs of pure storyline...not marvel movie or disney that leaves you unsatisfied. this one packs a punch..and has an ending. we go to war...and find out the thruth..

see the directors cut
See the revised version of my post above which I began editing before you made your post. I think I hit much of what you mentioned.

when you are fifty plus years old, being a rockstar is not a satisfying dream..oh, but i remember the music, and i played along..

I am 71 and still playing out now and then. I never jumped around stage or "acted" on stage. Everyone thinks I am about 55. I wonder how
long that will last lol.
What is really depressing is listening to Pink Floyd!

If you like Sci-Fi and a good story , the Expanse. I think it is a pretty awesome series. On Prime video.

I never jumped around stage or "acted" on stage.
when you play drums, and then go back to guitar or keyboard or whatever, its hard to sit still. you are using less energy to create the music..but your body still moves to the beat..

Some groups I consider to be solid, none are household names. They do a lot of covers but these are originals.

IMY2

Blaire Reinhard Band

Jeanne Jolly - I originally stumbled across Jeanne as the singer in a mic shootout video.

To the OP - does it have to be current acts? If there are genres you haven't explored you'd probably find a mountain of excellent music you've never heard. Are you into jazz? If not ever considered expanding your horizons?

Last edited:
those are some nice songs. Women have voices that could steal a sailor from the sea..

a mans voice commands, and can roar and scream..its more intense. nobody sings like that anymore.

If you like Sci-Fi and a good story , the Expanse. I think it is a pretty awesome series. On Prime video.
i dont watch tv...or stream shows ...i dont play video games either.

my video games were in an arcade...they cost bits of metal...called quarters..

when you play drums, and then go back to guitar or keyboard or whatever, its hard to sit still. you are using less energy to create the music..but your body still moves to the beat..
I almost always had to be in front of a mic singing with a guitar around my neck and a guitar cord. In one band where I wasn't singing lead we did a Doors medley.
Four short takes of different tunes and then all of "Touch Me". We had a great sax player. On the instrumental intro to Touch Me I thought it would be cool to
jump up and do a scissors kick with the legs just before the stop and the vocals come in. Well, I came down on my cord, which left the shorted end in the amp and the
amp howling away right at the break. I turned, killed the amp, the singer came in, the band carried on and I ran off stage for another cord.

Start hanging with people of faith..when you catch it, its a gift. there is something to lose. the risk is real.

white men cant jump? perhaps so. haha. just making a point.

Last edited:
Start hanging with people of faith..when you catch it, its a gift. there is something to lose. the risk is real.

white men cant jump? perhaps so. haha. just making a point.
I am not prone to believing in talking snakes and virgin births. That has been tried on me before.

The old grey mare ain't what she used to be.

All things must pass

Be you 9 or 90 we're all on the same path...the great migration

Agreed it is rare to see any performer we knew or followed 50 years ago that still has it going on....

I saw BB king in the 70's and he was awesome...saw him about 40 years later sitting in a chair on stage performing ...he was not that same ct I saw 40 years earlier but he was awesome.

As you know I am playing with the Brent Payne country rock band and having some good fun...Gotta say playing in front of a huge crowd of over 11,000 people July 3rd and all 8 cylinders firing was a pretty cool moment for this old man. There were a few hundred yungins out in front of the stage jumpin up and down dancing, hootin and holerin and when I went off stage they were reaching for me to high five them and were tickled when I reached out and did... Gotta say for this old fart knocking on 70s door it was a hoot.

I have been commiserating with Dave Macias the guitar player I played with in the 70's ..We are planning on giving it a go for a kind of last hurrah in these coming months..He is a great player still. I first saw him playing guitar at a back yard party in Whittier circa 1974.. These were those BIG parties that went down in the 70's with 100's of people smoking pot and partying...everyone there was blown away at what we were seeing and the word was this beast of a player was only 15 years old...damn! I gotta jam with this cat! A few months later there I was in his backyard jamming...now 49 years later we are going to rinse and repeat...pretty cool.

The world has changed, music has changed and live music has really changed..... Tribute bands UGH!

Cheer up buddy.... we still have Popa Chubby!

It not unusual...or is it?

How cool is this he's still out there doing his thing saw this post a few minutes ago on the FB

1691620137214.png

Back