Tell me some bands/artists whose lyrics you really dig

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
Related to my other thread this morning....

Since I can't simply conjure out of thin air being a great lyricist - and copying or plagiarizing is obviously out and not an option.... I figure I can be inspired by others work, creativity.

So tell me who you dig in the lyrics dept.

Btw - we know that the singer is often not the lyricist- so I think more in terms of the band or artist name.

A couple off the top of my head who have plenty of songs with lyrics that I dig:

Steely Dan
Led Zeppelin
Rush

Steely Dan
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Yay dude! But Led Z I'm still not sold on. As for Neil Peart, some now defunct magazine placed him at #2 for worst rock lyricist ever (after Sting). But he's really good IMO and Steely Dan as well of course 8-)

Add to the list...

Stevie Nicks
Toto

When I think up a few more I'll post them :)

When I saw the thread title I thought Dylan would be mentioned first. He's not my fav but he is like a god to many.

For me I draw inspiration from Tom Petty and Sheryl Crow. Next in line are Neil Young and Jackson Brown. Those four seem to resonate with me more than anyone else.

Reactions: RFR
When I saw the thread title I thought Dylan would be mentioned first. He's not my fav but he is like a god to many.

For me I draw inspiration from Tom Petty and Sheryl Crow. Next in line are Neil Young and Jackson Brown. Those four seem to resonate with me more than anyone else.
Definitely a big Petty fan. Neil is way up there too. 👍

I don’t have any specific people in mind, but the writers that tell a story are the best.

I always liked the Gin Blossom's lyrics, especially on New Miserable Experience. Its a great collection of songs about heartbreak.

Early Barenaked Ladies were great for their sense of humor. Songs like:

Bank Job (But how do you plan for a bank full of nuns?)
You can Be My Yoko Ono ( you can follow me wherever I go)
If I Had A Million Dollars (Well, I’d buy you an exotic pet (Yep, like a llama or an emu))
Raisins (But I can Parle Francais, I parled a bit today)
Pollywog In A Bog

Dylan, Beatles…I used to think RHCP had some cool lyrics….in high school. Now I think they suck, but their music is still great. Like Frusciante’s solo stuff a lot more in terms of lyrics.

I’m 50/50 with lyrics. Sometimes I write stuff I really like and other times I think it’s utter shit.

Hendrix wrote some damn cool lyrics
Peter Sinfield's lyrics for the Court of the Crimson King
Bernie Taupins lyrics are pretty Bad ass
Bowie
Pretty much all of the aforementioned writers in the thread and then classics like Carole King, Jim Croce, Neil Sedaka, Harry Chapan, Joni Mitchel, Neil Diamond and Glen Campbell

Shit I guess I like a lot of lyricist...

Bet most of ya's have never heard of this cat but he's a bad ass

Jerry Lynn Williams "The most incredible songwriter nobody knows. " Eric Clapton

Look at the names of the players on that album cover...I dig this song but there are quite a few other good ones on this album too!
He wrote thousands of songs..

Well...I'm a little surprised Jimmy Webb hasn't come up yet. His resume of hits is tough to top. Diane Warren is right up there as well. John Prine. Kris Kristofferson. Tom Waits Rodney Crowell and James Taylor.

Back