I have written lyrics for years, but I do not compose music

DeeHarrison

I love writing lyrics to songs. I play a bit on the piano, but I am definitely not a composer of music. I would love to collaborate with someone and hear my lyrics with music. I can sing, I just can not write music. If anyone is interested please shoot me a message.

Here is one of the newest song lyrics I have composed.

Stronger Without You

Verse 1:
She's been a good woman, tried to do right
Cooked his meals, tucked him in at night
But now she's found out, he's been cheating on her
It's time to move on, time to find a cure

Chorus:
She don't need that kinda love, no way, no how
She deserves a man who will treat her right, right now
She's strong enough to walk away, to find her own path
She don't need that kinda love, that's not what love is about

Verse 2:
He thought he could hide it, but she found out
She's been done wrong, and there's no doubt
She's been crying all night, but now she's done
She's packing her bags, and she's moving on

Chorus:

Bridge:
She's been hurt before, but she's learned to be strong
She's not gonna let this man, do her wrong
She's gonna find a love, that's true and pure
And she won't settle for less, not anymore

Chorus:

Outro:
She's gonna find a love, that's true and right
And she won't settle for less, not tonight
She's gonna find a man, who loves her true
And she won't look back, she's done with you.

Thank you,
Dee

Last edited:
Center Of My Universe

Verse 1:
Every moment feels like a knife,
Since you've been gone, my heart's in strife,
I wake up to an empty space,
All alone with your absence I face.

Chorus:
How can I live without you?
When you are the center of my universe,
You were the only one who knew,
How to lift my spirits and reverse.

Verse 2:
I try to move on with the flow,
But I keep remembering you, I know,
That I can't replace you, you're unique,
And that's why my heart is so weak.

Chorus:

Bridge:
I don't know how to go forward,
When you are the glue that kept me,
Together in my darkest hour,
I'm left with nothing but misery.

Chorus:

Reactions: TAE
Keep On Moving On

Verse 1:
You better keep keep keep on keeping on
Don't let them bring you down
They'll try to tell you you're wrong
But you know you deserve the crown

Chorus:
Don't stop, they'll try to make you weak
They smashed your heart, made you feel incomplete
Now they're crawling back, but you won't be their clown
Keep keep keep on moving on, let them drown
You're done with them, they're just a con
To you, they're long gone

Verse 2:
Don't look back, don't hesitate
You know your worth, don't let them dictate
You're moving forward, with or without them
You'll find happiness, let the light shine again

Chorus:
Don't stop, they'll try to make you weak
They smashed your heart, made you feel incomplete
Now they're crawling back, but you won't be their clown
Keep keep keep on moving on, let them drown
You're done with them, they're just a con
To you, they're long gone

That’s the trouble with lyrics. I can’t write them and I rarely even read them. I had no clue at all it was country, people who can write lyrics are cleverer than me!

So you're looking for your Elton...That combo is a one in a million thing and yet it happened. Posting here and elsewhere is better than never putting them out there and no one even considering them. Hope you find Him or Her. Yeah the first one definitely felt country... They all are good lyrics and could have potential. There are several folks here who could probably do something with them if they are so inclined and have the time. May not end up exactly as you envisioned but that's the magic of collaboration. Good Luck!

To my knowledge lyric writing goes one of two ways:

1. Write lyrics and then write music to conform to them.
2. Write music and then write lyrics to conform to it.

I am primarily a guitar player but I am also a singer. Because I am guitar player first I always write the music and then fit lyrics to it. For me the music and the feel of it drives the subject matter, vocal melody and number of syllables in each line. If I were to do to the other way around it would be very difficult for me and I think this might be true for others who are primarily musicians.

Your lyrics are great BTW and there is a definite theme which is good. Keep in mind that a co-writer will need to be on the same wavelength as you and be good at writing music to lyrics which seems like a challenge but I'm sure not impossible. Good luck!

To my knowledge lyric writing goes one of two ways:

1. Write lyrics and then write music to conform to them.
2. Write music and then write lyrics to conform to it.

I am primarily a guitar player but I am also a singer. Because I am guitar player first I always write the music and then fit lyrics to it. For me the music and the feel of it drives the subject matter, vocal melody and number of syllables in each line. If I were to do to the other way around it would be very difficult for me and I think this might be true for others who are primarily musicians.

Your lyrics are great BTW and there is a definite theme which is good. Keep in mind that a co-writer will need to be on the same wavelength as you and be good at writing music to lyrics which seems like a challenge but I'm sure not impossible. Good luck!
I've done both... but I've had more success doing music first, and would have lots of trouble putting someone else's lyrics to my music, especially if I don't know my lyricist really, really well.

In my 40 years of writing songs, both the lyrics and music that goes with them, the songs have come about with the words first, the melody first, by accidentally playing a chord or riff that I liked and built upon. I have had songs come to me both with just lyrics or melodies or both while conscious and while sleeping dreaming. I have taken other peoples words and put music to them. In my daughters case she will sing a song with lyrics that she has a melodic idea for and I'll build a musical background from that

Some people can't, some people can and those that can't can't understand how the heck we that can do it, do it... The Greeks believed it was these little spiritual creatures called Muses...thus the name Music. In my personal experience I believe they exist or something of that nature that is cosmic and beyond our earthly understanding John Lennon once said there is a cosmic river we can all tap into and I kind of agree to that too.

Anyways it sure is a ton of fun and yet, sometimes a bit frustrating when the end result just doesn't come out like what was in your head when you started the quest.

Reactions: RFR
I love writing lyrics to songs. I play a bit on the piano, but I am definitely not a composer of music. I would love to collaborate with someone and hear my lyrics with music. I can sing, I just can not write music. If anyone is interested please shoot me a message.

Here is one of the newest song lyrics I have composed.

Stronger Without You

Verse 1:
But now she's found out, he's been cheating on her
It's time to move on, time to find a cure

Chorus:

Verse 2:
He thought he could hide it, but she found out
She's been done wrong, and there's no doubt
She's been crying all night, but now she's done
She's packing her bags, and she's moving on

Chorus:

Bridge:

Chorus:

Outro:
And she won't settle for less, not tonight

Thank you,
Dee

I started out thinking "Country", maybe Dolly Parton. . . something like that. I had something going but it just didn't click. You know . . . click. Then I was playing with a few different chords and POW! Like a muse was sittin' on my shoulder and tapped my head. Something totally different gelled - ten minutes later I had the music, but the lyrics didn't quite fit with the groove, so I did some rearranging. . . made some cuts and additions to fit the rhythm. Another ten minutes and I had 99% of what you're about to hear. Rough first takes, still needs work.

Stronger Without You

Verse 1:
Now she's found out, he's been cheating on her
He thought he kept it hidden but no no sir
It's time to move on, find a cure

Someone else night after night
She's been done wrong, no doubt that's right
Now she's packing her bags, she's moving out
She's got no time for a losin' lout
Gonna find that cure Find that cure

Verse 2:
She's been crying all night, now she's done
She's packed her bags, leavin' with the sun
No more pain, no more doubt
She's movin' on, She's movin' out for sure

Chorus:

Bridge:

Outro:
And she won't settle, not tonight
She's stronger now without you

Attachments

• Stronger Without You 3 + 3dB.mp3
    3.1 MB
Last edited:
John Lennon once said there is a cosmic river we can all tap into
That was the acid talking !
Personally, I think statements like his are sooooooooo devaluing of human beings, our potential and our abilities to do things. If you know that the chord of D is made up of D, F# and A, then even if you just strum or play a D chord on a piano or guitar, other instruments can do all kinds of groovy things with the F# and A and even beyond those notes. The idea that we need some kind of little fairies flying through space giving us these ideas and showing us where to go and yet also being totally subservient to our desire to come up with songs strikes me as......let me be polite and say 'fanciful.' We can make a plethora of different colours and shades of those colours out of 3 primary colours and 2 shades. We can do the same with music.
The Greeks believed it was these little spiritual creatures called Muses...thus the name Music
Paradoxically, that's a great explanation of where the term 'music' comes from ! 🥰

I started out thinking "Country", maybe Dolly Parton. . . something like that. I had something going but it just didn't click. You know . . . click. Then I was playing with a few different chords and POW! Like a muse was sittin' on my shoulder and tapped my head. Something totally different gelled - ten minutes later I had the music, but the lyrics didn't quite fit with the groove, so I did some rearranging. . . made some cuts and additions to fit the rhythm. Another ten minutes and I had 99% of what you're about to hear. Rough first takes, still needs work.

Stronger Without You

Verse 1:
Now she's found out, he's been cheating on her
He thought he kept it hidden but no no sir
It's time to move on, find a cure

Someone else night after night
She's been done wrong, no doubt that's right
Now she's packing her bags, she's moving out
She's got no time for a losin' lout
Gonna find that cure Find that cure

Verse 2:
She's been crying all night, now she's done
She's packed her bags, leavin' with the sun
No more pain, no more doubt
She's movin' on, She's movin' out for sure

Chorus:

Bridge:

Outro:
And she won't settle, not tonight
Thank you @spantini I am liking it a lot! Great changes too!

Dee

Thanks, Dee :-) Are you set up for recording? The next thing would be to record you singing this. I'd send you the guitar track and you do the lead vocal - either copy mine or do it your way, making changes to suit your style.

They way I have almost always written, I start with a concept. From there it can be either music, or words. Strange for me, I have to first understand where I am going, then figure out the best way to get there.

Personally, I think statements like his are sooooooooo devaluing of human beings, our potential and our abilities to do things.
We take ourselves WAY to seriously and give ourselves too much credit. Though we can expound on how we and all of this thing we call life came to be till the cows come home, in the end we are truly clueless and always will be. First off what I call the gifts. Life being the first gift...then the cards you are dealt in this time and space. Those cards ( size, shape, color, intellect, beauty, strength, IQ, agility, artistic ability) we are dealt, we each have nothing to do with what we got. We just got them. Children from the same set of parents get different cards dealt. Those variety of cards may be of great value in todays world but the same cards could have been worthless in another place and space in time. In the past or in the future. Dreams when our minds are on autopilot who's making those dreams? Our brain which was a gift of birth or is someone else pulling on the strings...doesn't matter which you choose to believe or if you believe in both, YOU had nothing to do with the gift you are walking around with it was given to you to use as you choose. Be it by nature or some super power God thing we had zero / nada to do with the "gifts" we came into this world with. Some can run fast, some can not. Some are brilliant with math, some not. Some are extremely artistic and can blend colors, some not so much. Some can master a musical instrument, some not so much. Some can come up with melodies and lyrics, some only melodies, some only lyrics...No choice in the matter. It is what is. The gifts you get you were given ... or not given and try as you might you can't change that and had nothing to do with what you got or didn't get.

From that perspective I don't see anything devaluing about proposing that there is possibly something beyond our abilities to see or understand that has the power to influence and inspire us. It is still our option to use our potential and our abilities as we choose but to think we have it all figured out as to exactly how we come to our decisions and choices, how we come up with a melody or a lyric is not IMO simple to explain and as I have have said many times before here...There's more to life than meets the eye.

Our brain which was a gift of birth
Our brain which was a gift of conception...

Sorry. I'm hijacking. But I kinda think both of you are overthinking your spiritual allegiances / drug experiences (or lack thereof)... And @TAE I believe you've posted the John Lennon quote before? Just messing btw :)

Back