Help with 122 mk2 with imac

thehoodedclaw

Hello. I've just inherited a tascam122 mk2 without a disc. I want to use it with an iMac 2013 with high Sierra but can't find any drivers online that work.
Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the original disk?
Thanks

Hello. I've just inherited a tascam122 mk2 without a disc. I want to use it with an iMac 2013 with high Sierra but can't find any drivers online that work.
Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the original disk?
Thanks
I googled the device and got a cassette deck with only analog ins and outs. What are you trying to do, and with what piece of equipment, exactly??

I'm afraid I'll have to drop out at this point as I'm not on a Mac OS. Hopefully another Mac OS user can help walk you through installation and configuring with your DAW.

I'm afraid I'll have to drop out at this point as I'm not on a Mac OS. Hopefully another Mac OS user can help walk you through installation and configuring with your DAW.
Cheers anyway mate. I'm no expert either. I'll carry on pushing buttons randomly and maybe I'll get lucky😁

It's a bit confusing but the CD ROM may only be required for systems other than High Sierra and Mojave. You could try this installation for High Sierra/Mojave along with the driver you downloaded and see if it clicks. You have to be careful to follow the directions as exactly as possible or it won't work. If you connect things in the wrong order it won't work (that's SOP for these devices being connected to computers).

What does the Mac identify it as? Sometimes devices are mis-registered and an interface might be detected as a microphone so then the features don't show up in apps like Cubase. I have one interface that always comes up as a microphone - so while I can record from it, cubase cannot use that interface to replay, because mics only have input parameters.

When you say the tascam screen won't allow you to do anything - what will it display?

What does the Mac identify it as? Sometimes devices are mis-registered and an interface might be detected as a microphone so then the features don't show up in apps like Cubase. I have one interface that always comes up as a microphone - so while I can record from it, cubase cannot use that interface to replay, because mics only have input parameters.

When you say the tascam screen won't allow you to do anything - what will it display?
Yep it all installed as per instructions. The tascam window that opens has all the system specs which I can't do anything with and an exit button which works but that's all

I had a US 122 many years ago. Not a brilliant interface, mic pres low gain and what there was was noisy. My M-A 2496 and Berry 802 mixer blew it away, much lower latency as well. None of those early USB interfaces were much cop.

If cost is an issue I would suggest a Behringer 204 or 404HD. The mic pres are easily good enough for use with an SM57/8.

Dave.

The memory may be wrong - but I think that little screen with the specs in it is not interactive. I had a Tascam of similar vintage and a button in cubase used to bring to up - it never did anything, but there was another menu in the software. If Tascam used the same basic drivers with this one, then I bet it is the same and it doesn't have a direct control, but is driven from whatever software is using it?

That brings us back to the original problem of the OP not having the factory CD with installation software. I was kind of thinking it might not be required with newer Mac OS versions but it's looking like maybe it is, IDK. Something is missing here. . .

The memory may be wrong - but I think that little screen with the specs in it is not interactive. I had a Tascam of similar vintage and a button in cubase used to bring to up - it never did anything, but there was another menu in the software. If Tascam used the same basic drivers with this one, then I bet it is the same and it doesn't have a direct control, but is driven from whatever software is using it?

Cracked it! Found a guy with original disc. Booted it up and magic happened! It's a good bit of kit no matter what others may say. Latency is next to nothing really and my 2 good mics( sm57 and akg d7) both have more than enough gain, and no noise to speak of. Well chuffed. Cheers for your help chaps.

Cracked it! Found a guy with original disc. Booted it up and magic happened! It's a good bit of kit no matter what others may say. Latency is next to nothing really and my 2 good mics( sm57 and akg d7) both have more than enough gain, and no noise to speak of. Well chuffed. Cheers for your help chaps.
Ok good, then either I got a bad, noisy sample or you found a good 'un! WRT latency? Back then USB AI drivers were mostly pretty ***t except for people like RME. As macs did not need drivers latency was much lower.

Dave.

Back