Going DAW-less

That's right. I'm no longer a computer fan and that thought gets more exciting every minute. For most guys who talk about going "DAW-less", they cant seem to put into words why they just dont have any excitement for their fully built computer recording rig and Im hearing more about it every day. I'm hoping there is a community here that we can pass ideas around on the experiences and gear.

I have a DAW-less, second hand wishlist rig being built that consists of a Tascam DA-78HR for 8 real tracks and a Yamaha Motif 88 that I can sync with the Tascam to add 16 virtual tracks and all routed through an Allen And Heath GL2400 mixer. All together should cost less than 1200.00. With this, I can have a small setup that is also cheap and consists of 90s pro-audio.

If anyone out there has any good ideas for going DAW-less feel free to post. I cant wait to hear all the opinions.

That's right. I'm no longer a computer fan and that thought gets more exciting every minute. For most guys who talk about going "DAW-less", they cant seem to put into words why they just dont have any excitement for their fully built computer recording rig and Im hearing more about it every day. I'm hoping there is a community here that we can pass ideas around on the experiences and gear.

I have a DAW-less, second hand wishlist rig being built that consists of a Tascam DA-78HR for 8 real tracks and a Yamaha Motif 88 that I can sync with the Tascam to add 16 virtual tracks and all routed through an Allen And Heath GL2400 mixer. All together should cost less than 1200.00. With this, I can have a small setup that is also cheap and consists of 90s pro-audio.

If anyone out there has any good ideas for going DAW-less feel free to post. I cant wait to hear all the opinions.
Tascam Model 24

The TASCAM DA series machines were great in their day but keeping them running this long after production has ended will be challenge.

Looking back on the digi tape era.. is scary saying it too much? :>)
I'm recalling my Bay area ADAT guy/shop moving back to his.. 'Russia or somewhere. :oops:

My son, now 51 put the matter very nicely the other day from the opposite POV.

In the late 80's and 90s he was building tracks using a Teac A3440 and loved it AT THE TIME. Now he has a Behringer 1202 mixer and a MOTU M4. A few microphones and several guitars. He runs Samplitude Pro X 6 and says he cannot believe his luck! He REMEMBERS what a PITA tape was and the problems with noise build up. He can now record, dub, chop and loop. Compress, add 'verb and EQ and zillion other effects if he wished in the blink of a mouse. Plus he can record for as long as he likes and it does not cost him a penny.

And no, he is NO computer wizard.

Remember Joni's Taxi!

Dave.

In the late 80's and 90s he was building tracks using a Teac A3440 and loved it AT THE TIME....He REMEMBERS what a PITA tape was and the problems with noise build up. He can now record, dub, chop and loop. Compress, add 'verb and EQ and zillion other effects if he wished in the blink of a mouse. Plus he can record for as long as he likes and it does not cost him a penny
Looking back on the digi tape era.. is scary saying it too much? :>)
I'm recalling my Bay area ADAT guy/shop moving back to his.. 'Russia or somewhere.
But does any of this really matter ? Richard isn't asking for up-to-the-minute options. He knows what he wants to do, what direction he wants to go in and isn't really looking for a treatise on the disadvantages of his chosen path.
Wouldn't it be funny if one day someone asked a question like the one he's asking and people just gave him the information he was looking for ? I'm sure the world wouldn't end the next day ! 🥺

Im loving all the responses so far. The DAW-less topic is a new one and it causes the legacy guys to scratch their heads and wonder why some guys would go backwards. My reasonings come mostly from living in a "musical winter". Basically, new music sucks and needs a new place and approach to get the gold.

Yes, computers are very efficient and loaded with options but can be expensive and most guys will fall down into the lonely one-man-band category that makes for a project that may be dull due to all ideas coming from one person. There is also that feeling like Im not closely connected to the sound because everything is behind a screen. Anyone ever try to use those gloves in an incubator to codle a preemie baby? Yeah, thats what it feels like. I need the buttons and knobs without the clicker.

Theres obviously many other reasons for going DAW-less. There's a feeling one gets when going against consumerism. We live in an era in the music industry that is FULL OF STUFF. AND MORE STUFF. AND MORE STUFF. It's hard to justify buying a brand new interface when you can buy used gear on eBay that the pros of old used. This is why I got a DA-78HR. Im a former electronics tech and I can fix and service them. From 88s to 98s, they're all pretty much the same and have the same issues. I can get one for 150.00 (sold for parts) and a tape for 8.00 and I have all I need with 8 tracks. Used audio gear can be a real bargain especially in hard times.

Whatever system inspires you and gets the job done is the best. Being that you are an electronics tech it makes sense that you like older gear that you can service.

Im loving all the responses so far. The DAW-less topic is a new one and it causes the legacy guys to scratch their heads and wonder why some guys would go backwards. My reasonings come mostly from living in a "musical winter". Basically, new music sucks and needs a new place and approach to get the gold.

Yes, computers are very efficient and loaded with options but can be expensive and most guys will fall down into the lonely one-man-band category that makes for a project that may be dull due to all ideas coming from one person. There is also that feeling like Im not closely connected to the sound because everything is behind a screen. Anyone ever try to use those gloves in an incubator to codle a preemie baby? Yeah, thats what it feels like. I need the buttons and knobs without the clicker.

Theres obviously many other reasons for going DAW-less. There's a feeling one gets when going against consumerism. We live in an era in the music industry that is FULL OF STUFF. AND MORE STUFF. AND MORE STUFF. It's hard to justify buying a brand new interface when you can buy used gear on eBay that the pros of old used. This is why I got a DA-78HR. Im a former electronics tech and I can fix and service them. From 88s to 98s, they're all pretty much the same and have the same issues. I can get one for 150.00 (sold for parts) and a tape for 8.00 and I have all I need with 8 tracks. Used audio gear can be a real bargain especially in hard times.
Well Richard, if it a matter of cost the Behringer interfaces are very good for little money. Computer? Almost everyone has one, generally a laptop and anything that can run Win 10 can run 20 audio tracks. I have an old G6 HP i3 and that runs my MOTU M4 perfectly well if I need it to.

I am not averse to folks running their recordings any way they think fit. I just don't want any newbs to think there is something "wrong" or "unnatural" about using a PC and a DAW. Diff' strokes friend.

Dave.

I've got DAWless and DAW options. Screw having to choose which one I want. I have a Yamaha AW16G that I have had for about 20 years ago (Still works, but the power switch doesn't turn off anymore, but a power strip works - I want to convert it from HDD to SD card!), an AW1600 (bought after the 16G was underwater), a Zoom R24 (great for packing up and recording on the go, and no HDD limitation), and a PC with a Tascam 16x08 in the basement.

The old 4 track Dokorder doesn't work anymore, and I avoided the DAT era completely.

I did go with 8mm video cameras, and my $1000 Sony Hi-8 was great, while it worked! My dad's Ricoh also died. I bought a cheap Hi-8 camera, dumped everything to computer and DVDs. My Sanyo video camera with SD cards has been going strong for about 10 years, and it doesn't depend on having a camera to view the videos.. It makes me glad I didn't go the DAT route.

RE: cost

My Dokorder cost me over $500 back in the mid 70s when I was making $7600/yr. I bought a Teac AX-20 to mix 4 into 2. That's about a month's salary! My Zoom R24 cost me $445 with tax, in 2013! You can get a Zoom H6 for $300. High quality multitrack recording was never so cheap!

Well Richard, if it a matter of cost the Behringer interfaces are very good for little money. Computer? Almost everyone has one, generally a laptop and anything that can run Win 10 can run 20 audio tracks. I have an old G6 HP i3 and that runs my MOTU M4 perfectly well if I need it to.

I am not averse to folks running their recordings any way they think fit. I just don't want any newbs to think there is something "wrong" or "unnatural" about using a PC and a DAW. Diff' strokes friend.

Dave.
Dave, you do make a good point, just not what the response the OP is looking for. IMO, cost is not a good argument to justify going DAW less since my entire recording system costs a lot less than what I could get a complete DAW less system for, plus I would need to hire a tech to keep it running. Your comment makes me think of my nephew who was fantasizing about buying a reel to reel based recording system and I burst his bubble when I told him the reality of owning and running such a system. I know him and I know that he would have spent a bunch of money on gear and been very disappointed. That's not the case for the OP though.

You mention the fact that it's a Portastudio as if that's a detractor somehow. I'm not sure what you mean. Why is the Tascam Model 24 not a good DAW-less option?
Its price, the lack of channels, and its new equipment. Plus, Im looking into getting a really good vintage mixer with aux busses and grouping. The 24 is BY FAR the best option for the DAW-less who would like new gear but I guess i just like the old stuff and as far as portastudios go, I have a Tascam 4 track cassette and use it for getting ideas down to this day. Its fun to get fast tracks down and not lose focus in a computer which is what was happening to me when i used a DAW.

I track to an Alesis HD24. Just hit record and forget about it. I still transfer it to a computer for fuckery.

With the user name of Richard Tascam repair I am assuming you repair these older tape based machines. Thus, being able to illustrate how one can go dawless with 90's type tape based machines might behoove you because when they fail....and they will, you can fix them.

That said to achieve what the title of this thread speaks of...going Dawless e.g. multitrack recording without a computer, the zoom L series offers several options up to 20 tracks...Below is a video of the L-8 demonstrating how to record 8 tracks with no computer directly to a SD card... One can do what you are asking for for between $350 and $900 at sweetwater Here and be using a non mechanical brand new piece of recording equipment with a ton of effects and editing possibilities built in.

Last edited:
Dave, you do make a good point, just not what the response the OP is looking for. IMO, cost is not a good argument to justify going DAW less since my entire recording system costs a lot less than what I could get a complete DAW less system for, plus I would need to hire a tech to keep it running. Your comment makes me think of my nephew who was fantasizing about buying a reel to reel based recording system and I burst his bubble when I told him the reality of owning and running such a system. I know him and I know that he would have spent a bunch of money on gear and been very disappointed. That's not the case for the OP though.
Well then I apologize if I have misread the OP's question. I do try hard to give a specific answer to a specific question and not 'go off on one'! However this whole thread is really quite esoteric, dealing as it does with a myriad of alternatives to an interface and a DAW. Unless you just want two tracks that is surely the simplest route?

As an aside. I have recently moved my A3440 into the living room from a cold spare bedroom to check it out for a prospective purchaser. I have not laced it up with a full NAB reel this five years I bet and WHAT a bloody fiddle it was! After about a week the fingers "remembered" the task and the cussing subsided. I found some acoustic guitar my son had recorded. Not at all bad through my Tannoy 5As! Bit 'boomy' but then done in a small, largely untrapped room.

Dave.

Back