Put up some pics of your kit

DSC_0764.jpg

Im looking for a VST to replace the tambourine :D
I've long used lots of percussion, going back to the days when I used paint cans and garlic encrusted forks.....on Miroslav philharmonik and Swar systems {Indian instruments} there are some fantastic percussion samples. If you've got rhythm, it's almost impossible to tell that they are samples. I've been really impressed by the percussion sections on both those programmes. Also, Celtic Instruments has some fantastic Bodhran samples. I've found the main limitation on percussion VSTis is actually the MIDI keyboard and how well one sets the release. The giveaway can be a badly set release that makes each sound end too abruptly.
That all said, I find that the samples need to be mixed in with acoustic instruments
For me, percussion is often more than just some gentle colouring or incidental sounds. And with a few well-placed instruments, one can add some pretty vital stuff to a song.
I love congas, bongos, timbales and tablas, as well as smaller things like wood blocks, tambourines, chimes, flexatones and talking drums ~ and a whole host besides.
When push comes to shove, it's a challenge to make percussion interesting in a western context, but without taking over, they come in that category of instruments that are happiest "knowing their place."DSC04800.JPGDSC04802.JPG
I like to make the most of the least.

For me, percussion is often more than just some gentle colouring or incidental sounds. And with a few well-placed instruments, one can add some pretty vital stuff to a song.
I love congas, bongos, timbales and tablas, as well as smaller things like wood blocks, tambourines, chimes, flexatones and talking drums ~ and a whole host besides.
When push comes to shove, it's a challenge to make percussion interesting in a western context, but without taking over, they come in that category of instruments that are happiest "knowing their place."View attachment 124898View attachment 124901
I like to make the most of the least.
Very nice, I could see me having this set of equipment. I could use this much more than a traditional drum kit.

Very nice, I could see me having this set of equipment. I could use this much more than a traditional drum kit.

I saw this on eBay, bargain of the century. The amp alone is worth 100 and the modules are going for 150. I was thinking about the module for my rack but I was threatened with eviction. Any drummer should snap this up

I saw this on eBay, bargain of the century. The amp alone is worth 100 and the modules are going for 150. I was thinking about the module for my rack but I was threatened with eviction. Any drummer should snap this up
I have a nice SD plugin and a good MIDI pads for the "traditional" rock drums, but the drums that Grim was showing is good for accents and enhancement of the song. Adds some organic to the mix.

DSC04837.JPG
My cymbals are a real mixed bunch, different sizes, different makes, different sounds ~ but they all combine to give me something I find very important on drums ~ variety.

My cymbals are a real mixed bunch, different sizes, different makes, different sounds ~ but they all combine to give me something I find very important on drums ~ variety.
A man not afraid to use a 'Stagg'.
When I shopped for my cymbal collection, I didn't really know what I was doing.
When I bought my Tama Rockstar kit, I asked for a budget cymbal pack to get me started. They were not fantastic, but may come in useful sometime.
From there I chose with my ears, and took a liking to a 14" Paiste 2002 crash, which kind of shimmered.
After that I just bought more 2002 series, plus a few other Paiste specialities.
Today it is a Tama Superstar kit under those cymbals.

A man not afraid to use a 'Stagg'.
Prior to getting the Staggs, the only stag I knew about was the one in Narnia and East Finchley !
When I shopped for my cymbal collection, I didn't really know what I was doing
Me neither. To me, they were just cymbals. All of these, I got at different times, ranging from 1996 to about 2012.
which kind of shimmered.
The one that I got in '96, I bought 2nd-hand at the instrument exchange. It has no name on it so I don't know who it's by. But whoever owned it beforehand had put some tiny rivets in it so it has a lovely shimmer that goes on forever. Sometimes, one has to grab it to choke the shimmer so it even changes the way one plays the drums.

Back