What is a producer ?

Opinions diverge on this. Unless one heard the "Let it be" bootlegs {either film or music} that did the rounds from 1970 until the 21st Century, then until the Naked album came out in 2003, the majority of listeners of "The Long and Winding Road" would only be familiar with the Spector produced album. We got a little bit of a glimpse into what McCartney had been blathering on about when the Anthology came out in the mid-90s but in reality Phil Spector's version is what ruled the roost for 30+ years.
I like that version. I couldn't be bothered with going to listen to Paul's preferred version because I had no problem with the official release. I first heard it when I was 13 and I nearly always liked it.
People have always slaughtered Phil Spector for "Let it be" but almost without exception, every commentator overlooks and ignores the reality of what was going on with the Beatles at the time. Glyn Johns did 2 or 3 mixes of the album and the Beatles rejected every one. They couldn't bear listening to any of it and after the sessions, they abandoned much of what had been filmed and recorded and went on to work on the songs that became "Abbey Road." John had left the band before he got Phil Spector to work on the mixes for the album. Lennon's opinion was that he did a great job. As he put it, "When I heard it, I didn't puke."
Paul wanted a simple song. Spectre was brought in to do a choir and an orchestra and make it a big ballad for the US market. It was done without Pauls permission and he was horrified. I prefer the original, thats all....

Opinions diverge on this. Unless one heard the "Let it be" bootlegs {either film or music} that did the rounds from 1970 until the 21st Century, then until the Naked album came out in 2003, the majority of listeners of "The Long and Winding Road" would only be familiar with the Spector produced album. We got a little bit of a glimpse into what McCartney had been blathering on about when the Anthology came out in the mid-90s but in reality Phil Spector's version is what ruled the roost for 30+ years.
I like that version. I couldn't be bothered with going to listen to Paul's preferred version because I had no problem with the official release. I first heard it when I was 13 and I nearly always liked it.
People have always slaughtered Phil Spector for "Let it be" but almost without exception, every commentator overlooks and ignores the reality of what was going on with the Beatles at the time. Glyn Johns did 2 or 3 mixes of the album and the Beatles rejected every one. They couldn't bear listening to any of it and after the sessions, they abandoned much of what had been filmed and recorded and went on to work on the songs that became "Abbey Road." John had left the band before he got Phil Spector to work on the mixes for the album. Lennon's opinion was that he did a great job. As he put it, "When I heard it, I didn't puke."
I didnt know Glyn was involved. The producer of The Who and the first 2 Eagles albums, so thanks xxxx I learn something more now xxx

Paul wanted a simple song. Spectre was brought in to do a choir and an orchestra and make it a big ballad for the US market. It was done without Pauls permission and he was horrified
Interestingly, in one of his last interviews before he was murdered, John, when questioned about the genesis and recording of "Across the Universe" said that he felt that Paul would try to sabotage what Lennon regarded as his great songs. He felt that experimental games would be played on songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever", which he never felt was recorded properly. And he aimed that at Paul although he also said they all did it to an extent.
Personally, I just thought it was Lennon paranoia.
I didnt know Glyn was involved
Yeah, he recorded most of what ended up on the original album. If you ever get a chance to watch Peter Jackson's documentary "Get Back," it becomes clear that Glyn Johns had a far larger role than the original "Let it be" film showed. It's quite a notch on your resumé to have worked with the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles.....and Joan Armatrading. 😼

My view of what a music producer has been based solely on movies, TV, documentaries and a few articles about such celebrities as Phil Spector, et al. In a nutshell, a producer says "This is how I want it to be.", then goes about making that happen. That's all I know.

Reactions: TAE
My view of what a music producer has been based solely on movies, TV, documentaries and a few articles about such celebrities as Phil Spector, et al. In a nutshell, a producer says "This is how I want it to be.", then goes about making that happen. That's all I know.
I agree that is really pretty much it. The producer's job is to take the song and turn it into what he believes will make it a sellable "product". Each producer is unique and goes about doing this in their own way. Some are incredibly successful, some are moderately and some not so much. There is more than one way to skin a cat and some ways are better than others.

It seems to me that "Producer" is one of those terms that we all know how to use but which doesn't really have a specific meaning because there are so many people over the last 70 years that have been called the producer, yet there are clearly so many different strands to the role and there are aspects that many of these people doing the job don't do.
It's a bit like the term "Play." We all know how to use it but defining it is another matter.

The producer's job is to take the song and turn it into what he believes will make it a sellable "product".
I agree. But what about when a band "produces" their album ?
I think pretty much everyone has been correct in how they've seen things, although there have been many strands left out.
I find it fascinating.
We on the home recording plane, are we producers ?

Interestingly, in one of his last interviews before he was murdered, John, when questioned about the genesis and recording of "Across the Universe" said that he felt that Paul would try to sabotage what Lennon regarded as his great songs. He felt that experimental games would be played on songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever", which he never felt was recorded properly. And he aimed that at Paul although he also said they all did it to an extent.

Yeah, he recorded most of what ended up on the original album. If you ever get a chance to watch Peter Jackson's documentary "Get Back," it becomes clear that Glyn Johns had a far larger role than the original "Let it be" film showed. It's quite a notch on your resumé to have worked with the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Eagles.....and Joan Armatrading. 😼
I always liked Glyn's production. Desperado was recorded very live and naturally but Glenn hated it so he was sacked and Glenn replaced him with Szymyck. But a couple of the songs from On The Border had been recorded by Johns and Best of My Love became the first Eagles no 1 hit so I think Glyn had a good vibe from that 🥰

I agree. But what about when a band "produces" their album ?
I think pretty much everyone has been correct in how they've seen things, although there have been many strands left out.
I find it fascinating.
We on the home recording plane, are we producers ?
I think getting back to my original point that I made in an unwise way and rightly got a telling off.... A producer is like an architect who has all of these grand ideas of a beautiful building and then the engineer says.... nope we cant build that... it will fall down ....and brings them back to reality 😇🥰

I believe that John and Paul had a great relationship in the start. They both had talent and John who was the charismatic confident band leader took Paul on as his little brother who had amazing musical ability. When Paul started to develop his own ideas John resented it. They drifted apart, It was a shame and more to do with Lennon insecurity and losing control. John had nothing to fear from Paul. They would have worked together again I am sure

Back