Ghost Wind-noise on condenser microphone

If I had this problem, the last thing I would do is buy another one just like it. The fact that a $200 dollar mic comes with a wood case, shockmount, and pop filter tells you that the mic itself is worth even less than you think. (no offense, just brutal reality)

For $200 bucks you can do a LOT better. An AT 2020 would be a far better bargian than this blue mic......but that's just my opinion and a topic for a different thread. Don't buy another blue, whatever you do.
Hate to say it but I'm here because of the same issue with a pair of AT2020's. I'm thinking it's the damp, coming off a few days of tropical humidity and a morning of rain. Serves me right for recording in the shed!

If you are lucky, it's moisture on the capsule. Place the mic over a low watt incandescent lightbulb, power it up and leave it there for 12 or more hours. Then check to see if the problem diminishes or goes away completely.

It pays to have an alternative mic or two available. You could verify that the cable and phantom are good.
My Rode K2 valve mic used to make noises, but seems to have settled down recently.

If you are lucky, it's moisture on the capsule. Place the mic over a low watt incandescent lightbulb, power it up and leave it there for 12 or more hours. Then check to see if the problem diminishes or goes away completely.
Good luck in the US, heat-making bulbs are pretty much gone except for specialty bulbs like 3-ways. Buy some dessicant packs (they are cheap on amazon) and put them in a ziplock with the mic.

Uusually that noise is condensation on the outer membrane as mentioned above and when it happened to one of my 414s, overnight in the hot and dry gas central heating cupboard cured it fine.

Have been using a blue spark condenser mic for the past two years or so.
The noise clip is only during the first 25 secs. Normal expected sounds are the clock ticking in the background and the hum from my aircond. The issue is the intermittent buffeting noise (as if there was a gust of wind), any ideas?
Something is bad with the internals of the Microphone - seems there is a lot of self noise - and electrical bumps - something may be shorting inside - I doubt it is anything with your interface - but what are you using?

Hi Rick, I'm going to try this with my Oktava MK-219. Quick question: when you say "power up," are you just referring to the bulb, or do I need to give the mic 48V juice as well while I wait for the diaphragm to dry? Thank you!

Hi Rick, I'm going to try this with my Oktava MK-219. Quick question: when you say "power up," are you just referring to the bulb, or do I need to give the mic 48V juice as well while I wait for the diaphragm to dry? Thank you!
Aaand I'm back, with an answer to my own question. Phantom power not needed for the lightbulb trick. And after about an hour it has seemingly worked wonders on my 219. I'm going to "dry out" the other mic in the pair I own now as well. Not that the other one has "a lot" of self noise, but after drying out the original offender, my second mic is the noisier of the two.

Peace I'm out.

Yeah, moisture on condenser microphones isn't a good thing. I remember the first time I ran into the problem. Using my new mic for vocals in a buddy's garage. Then temp was 60F, but of course when you're singing, you breathe out a bunch of moisture. Suddenly the mic got incredibly noisy. I was bummed, thinking it was blown. Took it home and tried it a couple of days later and it was perfectly fine.

MikeB's recommendation about getting some desiccant packs is a good one.

Back